Notices

rear wings on boats

Old 07-21-2005, 06:11 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rear wings on boats

Originally Posted by Pointerman
Always one moron in the crowd bashing a particular brand because it's less expensive than their brand of choice. How fast is fast enough to be considered a performance boat? Let us know please. Or is it that you can't be a performance boat without steps? If that's the case then many boat manufacturers weren't performance boats until more recent years (Cigarette being one of them).

so your opinion is right and his is wrong? everybody has their own perspective on things... "performance" is respective to what your used to i guess, run 130+ MPH cats all the time and a 70 MPH ride doesn't seem that fast anymore... and i don't think anybody brought up steps?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:48 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A wing on a wing
Attached Thumbnails rear wings on boats-emerald-beach-rob-041.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And here I just thought you worked on boats and vettes. Those 2 alone will take up all your time.
Very cool stuff. I love following those technologies. Well... as best you can on Discovery or TLC.
Gary

Originally Posted by GregP
I've designed several airplanes to fly and explore Mars, our proposals havn't made it through the mission selection cut yet, but we're working on it.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Registered

Gary, Here is a small blurb on some of our Mars work, part of my "paying" job to fund all the other toy projects. - Greg

http://www.nasa.gov/lb/centers/ames/...-airplane.html
Old 07-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
so your opinion is right and his is wrong? everybody has their own perspective on things... "performance" is respective to what your used to i guess, run 130+ MPH cats all the time and a 70 MPH ride doesn't seem that fast anymore... and i don't think anybody brought up steps?
Just looking for his definition of a performance boat since he seems to have an opinion on the largest "performance" boat manufacturer in the world.

Everyone else here was having an interesting and informative discussion on what Baja has been testing. I just didn't see why one person needs to ruin a good thread by attacking the manufacturer.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GregP
Wings produce lift (more accurately a normal force) and drag (axial force). If the camber/angle-of-attack is "up" it make lift ala an airpalne. If it is down it creates downforce ala race cars. If you put it vertically it creates side force (like in direct sideforce generators for advanced fighter aircraft). It's the same wing, same physics. Just point the force the direction that you want it.

Oh, and if you rotate it "just right" it produces thrust for a propeller or lift again for a helicopter rotor.

"Streamlining" is the coloqial term for minimumizing drag or disturbance to the airflow. Now days it's just called drag reduction.

I won't get into boundary layers and viscous -vs- induced drag as it's time for lunch.

-Greg

I was waiting for you to find this thread. When are you going to calculate the lift of the beak again