Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now? >

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Notices

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Old 01-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Originally Posted by Dregsz
I remember a Tolman Group boat from the 1981 Barcardi Race.
It was a great looking boat but I didn't think it was a Bertram orange or red and blue on white.
I have VHS video clips of that race as I had a press pass was on the 50' Cary press boat for that race, (covering it for my highscool video class =P )
The editor did a crappy job so it is barely worth seeing, one second clips of each boat, trolling from Turnberry to the start at Gov Cut. and start and finish footage.

The Toleman boat always stood out in my mind though.

Evan

Going back to post #122

While the Toleman Bertram my have been shipped to England, I have a video from the 1981 Bacardi Trophy Race (as mentioned above which I have been watching lately, and it's much better then I remembered) which shows the "Toleman Group" as a single Vee Hulled COUGAR, which I believe is Aluminum. I believe the boat is also pictured on page 371 in "Searace" but mentioned as a Bertram there as well.

The old video I made was edited VHS-VHS so it was choppy, but I'm thinking about turning it into a DVD and making it available if anyone wants it.
There are good shots of Long Shot, Rampage, (who won), Natural light, Michelob Light, etc etc and good footage of the starts from all classes.
It's about 15 minutes long.
PM me if anyone wants a copy and I'll get it going
Thanks
Evan
Old 01-05-2006, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 207 Likes on 83 Posts

Here are some shots of Ghost Rider at the NY Show. Barry Cohen, in the left of the picture on the right, has stored this boat for over forty years. He just had it restored in his own shop and brought it the the NY Show for this exhibit.

I wish I could explain in some way what this boat meant to racers in the 60's. This boat was like combining the Callan, Bacardi and Arneson boat into one boat. It just blew the competition away both in the United States, Bahamas and Europe, winning every race it entered in 1966.

It could run at 87 mph, but won most of the races cruising over the courses at an average speed in the 60's. So many people who saw the boat in NY, could not believe it is made out of wood....whoever heard of making a high performance boat out of wood?
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-ny-boat-show-2006-038a.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-ny-boat-show-2006-041a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 01-05-2006 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Toleman Group boat that ran in the 1981 Bacardi race was in fact a Salt Shaker one-off aluminum boat. It was poorly built in Pompano Beach. The strakes fell off in the fiirst couple of miles. It later swapped ends in the ICW with Chris Hodges at the wheel and Smitty on the throttles. It hit the seawall backwards at 80 mph. It went from 43' to 38' in no-time! The last Flap Jack above is Betty Cook's old wooden Cougar.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
The Toleman Group boat that ran in the 1981 Bacardi race was in fact a Salt Shaker one-off aluminum boat. It was poorly built in Pompano Beach. The strakes fell off in the fiirst couple of miles. It later swapped ends in the ICW with Chris Hodges at the wheel and Smitty on the throttles. It hit the seawall backwards at 80 mph. It went from 43' to 38' in no-time! The last Flap Jack above is Betty Cook's old wooden Cougar.

Brownie your memory must be going! the boat that Smitty and Chris H tryed to park in the intercoastal condo was a triple engined Cougar it had small blocks with fuel injection as power, the boat was buit in the Cougar Miami yard, after the test modifications made before Key West in 1983 it was repaired and sold to Don Alberto from Germany.
I remember it well as Steve and myself where rigging Smokey Cougar (Sportcat 27) at the time and we where in a rush trying to finish for Key West. Smitty had asked one of us to go with him but we where busy, hence we suggested Chris was taken for a ride!

Do you remember now!

Have a good one
Super Pete
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Anyone got pics of Flap Jack in her former glory?

How about this
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-newohalter200.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-kamma1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BROWNIE

For Brownie
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-81234819idauag_ph.jpg  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, Pete, you got me on that one. Senior moment, I guess. Our boy Steven (Nigel) seems to be kicking ass. You coming to the Miami show? If you are, let's do dinner..

All the best,

AB
Old 01-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

We should be out for Miami, may even have a boat ot two!

London boatshow starting tomorrow, launching our new 10m Rib there so a busy week ahead, will kep in contact.

Pete
Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 207 Likes on 83 Posts

Now they have a place to go home to!

HISTORIC OFFSHORE RACE BOAT ASSOCIATION

HORBA
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-reduced-photo.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-offshore-history0019a.jpg  
Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The photo above, "SuperToad", almost pulled off a major upset in the first "Bennihana Grand Prix". SuperToad was racing in Offshore Class II, (the same 210 miles as Open I, but single engine) all Open I boats either broke down, or were passed by Supertoad, unfortunately it broke down 1/2 mile from the finish, "LaTortuga" limped in for the win.

Quick Reply: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.