OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now? >

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Notices

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Old 10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Smily Johns

Is that correct....... I remember that day.. I think Bill Elzwick won that race and gave the prize money to his widow at the awards party. I remember it well . It will always stick in my mind. Was a sad day in racing history. And was a great gesture from Billy.

LS
It was back in the day of cutting off the skegs from the #3 Speedmasters. Made that boat uncontrollable in rough water.
If I remember correctly ALL the racers gave their prize money to Mrs. Johns who gave birth to Smiley's baby soon after that tragic day.
I believe she didn't get the money when APBA found out that she was going to use it to sue APBA.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Wooooooooo

Ya learn something every day. !!

LS
Old 10-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Ed, Yes the boat is red & white,It sits up in Verplanke,N.Y., at King Marine. I looked at the boat, someone cut holes in the transom to get to the motor's out! Fuel tanks & some rigging,It's to bad it's laying there to rot. Dave B.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Smily Johns
That is correct....... I remember that day.. I think Bill Elzwick won that race and gave the prize money to his widow at the awards party. I remember it well . It will always stick in my mind. Was a sad day in racing history. And was a great gesture from Billy.

LS

That was the first race that Bill Elswick ever won in the open class. He was a tough competitor and it was a well deserved win. It was also the first race that Rums of Puerto Rico sponsored me for the 1980 season.

Unfortunately, I was not in the boat for the race....I slipped in the shower in the morning and reinjured an old karate injury in my shoulder. I sent the boat out with the navigator and throttleman to honor our sponsorship deal.

Those Bertrams had handling problems from more than the cut off skegs. Remember poor Vince Fasano? Sammy James would run the bottom off that boat and Vince would come up to the dock after the race with a face full of blood from bouncing off the dash while Sammy kept the throttles pinned and the flaps up.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered

Top Banana

At that dinner they gave Vince a cake made into a steering wheel. I never laughed so hard in my life. We came in 2and in P class. It was a tough race. The good old days ! Miami to Bimini ! 6 to 10's Pounding from wave to wave.

LS
Old 10-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Top Banana

At that dinner they gave Vince a cake made into a steering wheel. I never laughed so hard in my life. We came in 2and in P class. It was a tough race. The good old days ! Miami to Bimini ! 6 to 10's Pounding from wave to wave.

LS
Steve
As you know I raced in both classes, Production and Open and I still feel that the best racers were the guys doing the 6 to 10's in smaller boats.

What is it about todays racing that they just don't go for the big water any more?

I was toying around with the idea of making a spec 35 footer (think of the old Bounty Hunter look) with twin staggered big blocks...restrict the intake, exhaust and prop size....keep the speeds down to be survivable in the ocean conditions.....and then find a sponsor to do 5 races a year recreating the old race venues.

Miami to Nassau ...
Miami to Key West...
Palm Beach around Bimini to Fowey Light....
St Pete to Key West....
Let the racers decide the 5th one.....

Do you think there would be enough interest from a dozen people or so to kick it off?

Charlie
Old 10-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Steve
As you know I raced in both classes, Production and Open and I still feel that the best racers were the guys doing the 6 to 10's in smaller boats.

What is it about todays racing that they just don't go for the big water any more?

I was toying around with the idea of making a spec 35 footer (think of the old Bounty Hunter look) with twin staggered big blocks...restrict the intake, exhaust and prop size....keep the speeds down to be survivable in the ocean conditions.....and then find a sponsor to do 5 races a year recreating the old race venues.

Miami to Nassau ...
Miami to Key West...
Palm Beach around Bimini to Fowey Light....
St Pete to Key West....
Let the racers decide the 5th one.....

Do you think there would be enough interest from a dozen people or so to kick it off?

Charlie
Good idea, let's work on it.

Steve
Old 10-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Wink Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Originally Posted by 818181
Ed, Yes the boat is red & white,It sits up in Verplanke,N.Y., at King Marine. I looked at the boat, someone cut holes in the transom to get to the motor's out! Fuel tanks & some rigging,It's to bad it's laying there to rot. Dave B.
That poor boat! When I got it in Ft. Lauderdale there was one giant hole in the transom where the thugs cut out the machinery. I contracted a fiberglass repair dude named Bob Naidus to put the boat back together. He replaced the transom, painted the entire boat and built the cabin down below.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Smile Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Those Bertrams had handling problems from more than the cut off skegs. Remember poor Vince Fasano? Sammy James would run the bottom off that boat and Vince would come up to the dock after the race with a face full of blood from bouncing off the dash while Sammy kept the throttles pinned and the flaps up.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Vince and Sammy flip "Vincentive" in Lake Ponchartrain one year and get hurt pretty badly? Those Bertrams were fast, but unpredictable!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Here's some more recent history:

In 1989 John Gehret ordered a 47' Apache through Everglades Marina that was to become #96 "INXS".

I filled in as throttleman in the Long Beach, CA race for my then boss, Ralph Martin. (we took 2nd behind Chuck Norris and Bob Idoni in the Popeyes cat). I had about 5 minutes practice time in the boat, so it was quite an accomplishment back then.

Gehret sold the boat to Ted Sabarese in 1991, but Ted wanted something faster and defected to the Fountain camp. The boat was fitted with milder engines and sold to Roger Wittenberns who I just saw at the Land & Sea Poker Run after many years. Roger sold "INXS" and now is the proud owner of a new 36' Nor Tech cat.

Quick Reply: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.