Notices

Stuffing the boat

Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: Stuffing the boat

My father and I submarined a bassboat a few years ago.....We tried to jump a set of Tug boat waves at 40ish. Didn't clear the last wake and went nose first into the bottom. When we popped out the other side the boat was almost full to the top with all our gear floating. We stayed in the seats, on the gas and luckily the boat had 3 bilge pumps. Worst part was it was Feb. and a bit chilly. Ended up not fishing that day at all.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a 23 foot Nova, trying to get to port fast in the afternoon in San Francisco Bay, plowed through a 5 foot roller/wind chop going about 40 mph, my chest slammed into the steering wheel , clapsed the wheel, I hit my forehead on the wood trim windshield and learned real fast to respect the seas (and also save up for a bigger vessel ). By the way, my chest is still throbs, but that could be my wife telling me and poking my chest on what a dumb -aZZ i was trying to gofast in the bay. Chance of luck, the crew was in the cabin and bounced against the cushions-could have been worse
Old 07-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

It can be deadly! Lots of people had been killed by stuffing; 1. hitting the dash hard and collapsing/puncturing lungs. 2. slitting the bow open, the debris peeling back and killing the passenger.

Here's a pic of a stuff....
Attached Thumbnails Stuffing the boat-buckshot_1_.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider

I'm seeing I don't need to run in the 90s, but would like to run in the 50-60s in something heavier and more settled in.
This is exactly why I run the boat that I do. Between crusier traffic, freighter traffic, and great lakes nastiness... I decided on a 6000 pound dog with a WOT of 55.

But the ride is great, and it's tough to get in a bad situation, even crossing wakes.
Even if I get the boat completely out of the water, it keeps a good angle and lands soft.

Slowest ride maybe... but smoothest ride!

I won't give you any chit for getting too close to the vessel you were trying to overtake. You already copped to it, and you know what you did.

Glad that you weren't hurt.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther

Here's a pic of a stuff....

Go pumps go!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually run up behind the cruisers( useing there wake to smooth out the water on rough days) then about 3 of there boats lenghths to go I launch out of there wake ....less waves to handle. This came back and bit me one time when passing a tugboat pushing a barge........Came off the first wake.....cleared the second and went right thru the third......wall of water.....no one got hurt just really wet!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

I will only get close enough to jump a cruiser's wake if I know the skipper of the cruiser and he is expecting it. And I still pass on the port.

Otherwise I am no better than the jet fleas who do it to me.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:40 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Since I'm fast enough, what I usually do is cross the wake slowly far behind, and then accelerate and pass. I'm glad I was going slow and we only got wet.
Its always an adventure, and a learning experience.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that is kinda what happened to me at six years old & mother pregnant with my sis.
I know we had an accident somewhere on the East river/Hells Gate area. My parents don't talk much about it. At the time we had a 30' Fino, a wake came over the bow, threw my parents back and sucked me into the cabin. None of had on PDFs. It wiped out all instruments on the panel and left us stranded. I would say any type of a stuff could be detrimental, speed doesn't matter. We were just lucky.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't go too fast either!

Had a friend jump a tug boat wake at 70 mph near Hells Gate about 8 years ago. The bow was probably 25 ft. out of the water, the stern about 8-10 ft out. The boat landed on it's side as the driver was falling half way out of the boat. The result was a broken back, one guy with a f'ed up tailbone, and one person thrown out of the boat with a consusion.

Quick Reply: Stuffing the boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.