Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stuffing the boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108416-stuffing-boat.html)

Stormrider 07-25-2005 07:56 AM

Stuffing the boat

How dangerous can this get and what are the different scenarios that can lead to stuffing?

I was behind a 40ft cruiser that was doing 12-15mph, I was creeping up at around 20, trying to find the right time to pass.
This was difficult to do in a narrow part of the East River w/ some traffic around.
I finally got close to the stern so attempted the pass.
On the way up this large swell of a wake, my bow pierces and 8-12" of solid water come over the deck and soaks me and the family. I think I was more spooked than the rest of my crew. How dangerous can this get? And I thought it was odd to stuff on the way up the wake, instead of on the way down.

ScottB 07-25-2005 08:05 AM

Re: Stuffing the boat

3 Attachment(s)
It can get this bad, this happened on a trip and stuf on the straitaway. When the boat stuffed it hooked to the left hard
the sequence is pic 3 followed by pic 1 and 2

wildthing357 07-25-2005 08:14 AM

I stuff my 357 Formula in Lake Erie on the way to Put in Bay, it picked me up out of the driver and but me in the back seat. Decided I did not need a beer in the Round House that bad. Thank God for lanyards!!

mr_velocity 07-25-2005 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
How dangerous can this get and what are the different scenarios that can lead to stuffing?

I was behind a 40ft cruiser that was doing 12-15mph, I was creeping up at around 20, trying to find the right time to pass.
This was difficult to do in a narrow part of the East River w/ some traffic around.
I finally got close to the stern so attempted the pass.
On the way up this large swell of a wake, my bow pierces and 8-12" of solid water come over the deck and soaks me and the family. I think I was more spooked than the rest of my crew. How dangerous can this get? And I thought it was odd to stuff on the way up the wake, instead of on the way down.

Should have passed him long before getting that close. Traffic in the east river can be a biotch but I wouldn't consider it narrow. When you get to Rosevelt Island take the channel farther away from NYC, it is usually less crowded. This is the narrowest part of the river.

Last year we were heading south around 30th st when a sea plane started to take off, little scary playing chicken with that thing
:eek:

As for stuffing at 20mph isn't a big deal, probably the worst thing was the East River water, yuk

Stormrider 07-25-2005 08:40 AM

Yea... not the best move I made by getting closer. Next time I know better. Glad my kids wear their seat belts.

Scott, I could only imagine what a high speed stuff would feel like. :eek:

I hate this boating in confined waters. Boat traffic really screws w/ you.
In the ocean, its not as much of a factor.
I guess I will eventually need to move up to a heavier bigger boat.
I'm seeing I don't need to run in the 90s, but would like to run in the 50-60s in something heavier and more settled in.

Stormrider 07-25-2005 08:41 AM

BTW, Mr V, We saw that seaplane at 30th ST, had just landed.
The kids dug it!

And Chelsea Piers was great. We signed up the kids for a 1 1/2 of rock climbing and gymnastics, while the wife and I went to the SPA. Had lunch, watched an outdoor band, and then headed home at 4:30.
Hell of a good time. :D :drink:

WesSmith 07-25-2005 09:03 AM

Yea... not the best move I made by getting closer. Next time I know better. Glad my kids wear their seat belts.

I'm seeing I don't need to run in the 90s, but would like to run in the 50-60s in something heavier and more settled in.

Sounds like you need a 41 Apache... ;)

J-Bonz 07-25-2005 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
As for stuffing at 20mph isn't a big deal, probably the worst thing was the East River water, yuk

I was at the new ferry port in queens, it runs between 43rd ave., nyc and vernon/jackson, queens. They dumped in 20 truck loads of sand to try to make it feeel like a beach on the east river. Thank god was not a real beach, couldnt imagine going in that water or getting sprayed by it.
Jack Jr.

J-Bonz 07-25-2005 09:07 AM

I guess having a fast boat really dosnt matter unless you can get a good ride through the rough or the even worse unreadable boat trafic chop.

Stormrider 07-25-2005 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I guess having a fast boat really dosnt matter unless you can get a good ride through the rough or the even worse unreadable boat trafic chop.

Its not even about going fast... none of these fast boats have any bow flare. A 20ft center cosole grady or contender would have faired much better.
I wasn't even going 20mph.
Maybe if i was on plane at 40 i probably would have been fine.

But undoubtably, the longer and heavier, the better the ride. The boat runs great in the rough, and is as dry as can be. Had it out last year w/ mom and kids in true 3-4 chop, no swells in the sound. And my mom couldn't believe how dry the boat was. But the unreadable traffic chop, coming from different directions will throw me for a loop.

The good news is, my wife was pleasantly surprised w/ how well the day went, and what a great time all had.
I mentioned a cruiser(due to some pounding and the stuffing) and she said no, the likes the idea of a speedboat, but just that we'll need something bigger, in a few years.
I guess better late than never.
Hip Hip Horray!!!! She's getting w/ the program. :evilb: