Notices

Dockominiums Pros/Cons

Old 07-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dockominiums Pros/Cons

What makes Sanibel Harbor a great location is that it's not on the River, it's on San Carlos Bay.
All you have to do is turn left, idle under the causeway and it's open water from there. NO SPEED ZONES!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the info! My brother was there this week checking it out, I believe he spoke with April. I'm headed there shortly and will be seriously considering a purchase.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Marina in Jupiter is turning into dockominiums as well, I guess its the new craze in FL
Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone know of something like this on Marco?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Registered

I will sell you mine with the boat $500.
Attached Thumbnails Dockominiums  Pros/Cons-boatel.jpg  
Old 07-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Registered

this is the new craze in Florida. I would like to get involved but need to sell my current wet slip in Aventura. 40 X 13.50 in gated marina right on the bay. If anyone is looking in the Miami area please contact me at [email protected].
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

There are many, many kinds of Dockominiums and there are also Rackominiums. Some of these arangements include a specified slip while others inlude temporary access to a slip after unracking or before racking the watercraft.

A condominium with a dock underneath (a water-level boat garage) is just a condominium - not a dockominium.

This is a growing trend in Florida, North and South Carolina, California, and other major watercraft usage states. Some states (such as Wisconsin) have judged dockominiums as a violation of the Public Trust Doctrine.

Obtaining the correct insurance and providing proof of coverage to the Dockominium Association (Marina management) is sometimes quite problematic because of the many different forms of dockominium ownership (fee simple, condominium, lease hold, and equity yacht clubs) and types of structures that might be involved (naked slip, slip with dock, covered dock slip, etc).

You will need to discuss your insurance needs with an extremely knowledgable insurance agent -- one who specializes in these kinds of properties would be best -- and you should seek the advice of a lawyer who is knowledgable in this area before signing any purchase paperwork so that you are sure that what you expect that you are getting is indeed what you end up buying.

BTW, I am an insurance agent researching this area for my employer. I am not looking for clients to advise in this matter.

Last edited by ke6seh; 12-24-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobonthis
I will sell you mine with the boat $500.
That's not a dockominium - it's a homemade bayou houseboat.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is like a "Condo" do the individual owners end up the ownership of the entire facility? If that is the situation, is the current business profitable and at what capacity utilization? If the business doesn't work long term, the owners could end up with significantly increased maintenance fees, major increases in insurance after a big storm, and ongoing assessments to keep it all going.
Anyway you you look at it, it is another FL property that could be under financial stress for the next 3-5 years.
Have you considered a yearly lease or lease with an option to buy from an existing owner?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dockominums

Anybody ever had any problems with neighbors raising hell about the boat being LOUD ????

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Dockominiums Pros/Cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.