Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   exhaust removal silent choice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108725-exhaust-removal-silent-choice.html)

GoCiggie31 07-28-2005 01:29 PM

exhaust removal silent choice

Hi
If one engine is out on a twin 502 bullet, can the exhaust manifolds on the engine that is still in the vessel be replaced and the silent choice be capped Or will the other engine need to be removed also to complete this task.
I am considering removing the sound choice to run external mufflers and and trying to estimate time and expense?

Thanks in Advance

magnum27 07-28-2005 01:39 PM

Re: exhaust removal silent choice

I think both engines would have to come out in order to remove the y pipes and cap off the holes

cig1988 07-29-2005 03:08 AM

Wyatt

The "Y" pipe needs to be removed from the gimbal housing & replaced with the block off plate. To do this, the engine needs to be removed. This would be the correct way to do it. To just cap them off would not be suggested.

GoCiggie31 07-29-2005 08:34 PM

Magnum27, Cig1988; Thanks for the info.

Hi Stan,
not advisable...short term your thoughts?
Engine builder knocked off my socks on his rebuild prices so I just want to get it to stock to run out the season. With the prices that are being charged out there, I think I will dust off the wrenches and spend the winter doing what I used to do as a master tech...with no flat rate to worry about and the satisfaction of doing it myself from soup to nuts-even if something goes wrong-which it should as long as I am not in a hurry.

Be well and thanks so much for the help.
Still got that beautiful Bullet 4 sale?
GoCiggie31

cig1988 07-30-2005 05:47 AM

No problem Wyatt, I hear ya about the wrenching prices. If I had to pay someone to do what I did, we would be broke. Thankfully the wrench turning from my younger years paid off. Matter of fact I used to live in Sunnyvale early 80's working on trucks.
The cig still for sale, I'll just enjoy the hell out of it until it goes.

GoCiggie31 07-31-2005 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by cig1988
No problem Wyatt, I hear ya about the wrenching prices. If I had to pay someone to do what I did, we would be broke. Thankfully the wrench turning from my younger years paid off. Matter of fact I used to live in Sunnyvale early 80's working on trucks.
The cig still for sale, I'll just enjoy the hell out of it until it goes.

Small world, I also wrenched/mgmt at a dealership in S'vale on the El Camino from 75-86, nextdoor to Golfland usa.

Hope u sell that clean Bullet, that is one value...I sure know what a great deal that is now that I am working on mine!
Be well