Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   MUFFLERS...are you using them or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108751-mufflers-you-using-them-not.html)

Jonas 07-29-2005 02:18 AM

Re: MUFFLERS...are you using them or not?

35 fountain
575's steped on to 690 hp ish ea
cmi / wet but its not loud just sounds GOOD :D :D :D
its supposed to be loud,, i wanted a thunder boat.. :eek:
No mufflers :evilb:
according to the law i guess i am not legal,,, will see ,,, i bought it this way and it came new this way.. :cool:
next they are going to say my viper is too loud or my wifes 745 or well i guess they did tell me my cannondale dirt bike is to loud and i paid it, doh
my harley is really loud no issue there ??? hmmmm this chit dont make sense,., bunch of tree huggers pushin politians around or something.. its bs though....
I have a great idea lets all instead of this muff bs buy ear plugs for the dick heads... whats next u cant wear a blue lifejacket ? or have black stries on the boat.. its all bs revenue for the state and a reason for them to puill u over..
they should be pullin over the dopes on jetskis and the newbie dopes that just signed up for a boat with 0 experience,, the guy with a go fast has generally had some seat time and has a clue,, that does not apply for the majority of what i seee out thiere on in other crafts.
ok thats my o2
anyway no muffs here.
for now anywway

mwdill 07-29-2005 05:29 AM

27 warlock
496HO
No mufflers, we don't have a db limit yet , but im sure one is coming :D:

offshoredrillin 07-29-2005 06:46 AM

Came on my tiger, i have no prob with them...

Boatally Insane 07-29-2005 07:02 AM

1993 Checkmate 230 enforcer

509 cid about 550 pshp with Keith Eickert manifolds

GGB Extreme mufflers 94 db at idle

Wisconsin state law 86 db at idle :(

GGB Extreme mufflers with GGB downtubes 82 db at idle
NO POWER LOSS and still sounds good while underway!!!

THANKS GRAHAM!!!! :evilb: :evilb:

Doug

27daytona 07-29-2005 07:07 AM

I purchased some HPI clamp-ons but I have never used them. I boated in Tahoe three weeks ago and just idled in on one motor and tried to be quiet around the docks. Pfaff 1000's, with Stelling big tube headers. My Jag is pretty quiet isn't it Lofty, You heard it on the Sacramento river, Bridge to bridge. Doug

OldSchool 07-29-2005 07:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We don't need no stinkin' mufflers!!!!! :D :D

Top Gun
1200HP X 2
Stellings Dry Pipes

I'm planning on rattling windows in the Wash. DC area next weekend :evilb: :evilb:

Dueclaws 07-29-2005 08:14 AM

We're not required to use them, but it's very annoying to have some one come blasting thru at 2:00 AM without mufflers.
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of open exhaust and usually run like that offshore: just not in heavy populated areas. Besides, I think it's cool to have a relatively fast boat that is also quiet. Dave Scott/Barcardi has the right idea.

Due

Buddy OO 07-29-2005 08:32 AM

Have tested 20 sets of mufflers on dry and wet exhaust on 850-1150hp blower motors. There was no muffler that met the j-2005 regulations of 90 dbs. We even put up to 3 mufflers on the 1150's- 2 inserts and a clamp on, still only got it to 94dbs, with a total 42" of mufflers. The Turn downs work for the stationary test if you get them to clear drives and tie bar which is hard on Merc 6's.On the moving test the technology is not there yet . I have tested ggb's hpi's gibson, cmi, stellings.I believe the answer on big hp is a turn down inside the transom and exit below water level. have spoke with several racing teams and manufacturers and they agree.

Bam Bam 07-29-2005 08:54 AM

25' Active Thunder
Merc 420
GGB High Flow Louver tips

Don't have to have them but with my two young girls, it is easier on their ears. They work great and no loss of performance.

custom29scarab 07-29-2005 09:19 AM

29 scarab single
around 500 HP
CMI Elbow w/wet tails

Haven't had a problem yet here in upstate NY. Knock on wood! She is pretty loud. The laws here are not clear on weather you can modify your exhaust such as silent choice or put custom systems on. It seems even some law enforcement are not clear either. I have heard of people getting noise tickets and when they go before the Judge the judge throws the ticket out depending on the circumstances.