Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Broke Ground on the Toy Box! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108829-broke-ground-toy-box.html)

open87 08-03-2005 09:52 PM

Re: Broke Ground on the Toy Box!

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dukenrock
What are you using to get it onto the dollies and what kind of dollies. I would like to be able to take the boat off the trailer to get some bottom cleaning done over the winter. I thought of an overhead steel beam arrangement. I also have a 28' Pontoon boat I would like to store inside on dollies so I could move it around as well.

came from HOSTAR. used the lifting eye on the foward deck and two jacks on the corners, off the center span beam with a hoist , i have a pad behind the shop so the tail end sticks out to lift her. i actually took her of the trailer and set down by myself.
only problem is that the dolly for the front had to be shortened in width.i didn't think to measure before i ordered, i just said i had a 24 degree v bottom hull and beam width.

food for thought if you get a set ,measure the front. i belive i paid 145.00 a piece for them , they work great.

dukenrock 08-04-2005 08:20 AM

Thanks Open72. Sounds like a fair price. I'll get in contact with them too.
KC

Originally Posted by open72
came from HOSTAR. used the lifting eye on the foward deck and two jacks on the corners, off the center span beam with a hoist , i have a pad behind the shop so the tail end sticks out to lift her. i actually took her of the trailer and set down by myself.
only problem is that the dolly for the front had to be shortened in width.i didn't think to measure before i ordered, i just said i had a 24 degree v bottom hull and beam width.

food for thought if you get a set ,measure the front. i belive i paid 145.00 a piece for them , they work great.

Nykamp 08-06-2005 10:50 AM

If you are going to heat your Toy Box, check out www.REVERBERRAY.COM is awsome heat, it keeps my toys and dually toastie all winter. Steve

offthefront 08-06-2005 11:30 AM

Hey guys ..... I am looking at a steel building that a guy bought and then his neighbors would not let him build ...it is 40x60 has one 8x8, one 16x8 and a 3x7 framed opening .. he is asking 15K but said in the same breath thats it negotiable. only thing I don't like is the eave height is only 10' center is 11'10" ... it has been on his property on the pallets for about a year but he sez shows no signs of rust ... I was thinking if I could get it for 12K would be a fairly good deal .... any thoughts ? m

Nykamp 08-06-2005 11:42 AM

The price of steel has really jumped,that sounds cheap. Have someone pour footings and a 4' wall and then it would have good ceiling height. Steve

open87 08-06-2005 12:19 PM

what NYKAMP said. if you look at my shop the doors are only 10 high with a 12 high total on center. i paid 8500.00 for mine including insulation and gutter package. doors were another 3k 12w x 10 h. i'd jump on that , offer 10 , go from there, you can always add larger doors....

RLW 08-06-2005 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nykamp
The price of steel has really jumped,that sounds cheap. Have someone pour footings and a 4' wall and then it would have good ceiling height. Steve

I concur! I like the idea of the 4' knee walls. You need height if you would ever want to pull motors from an I/O style boat.
I know of a guy who incorporated a bridge crane in his shop. It is only supported by the 2x4 trusses on 24" centers. He supported the I-beams from the trusses, with a channel positioned on top of the horizontal section of truss, where the truss meets the vertical walls. Plenty of shear strength at that location but there is a load capacity limit. Not sure of what it is. He did lift his 25' boat and turned it over using that setup.
We have pulled many big blocks too.
Height is key (along with square footage).
Might as well think of it as cubic feet!

offthefront 08-06-2005 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
yea.... need the height ....

dukenrock 08-06-2005 09:39 PM

The warranties on the new steel is longer than the older steel, so if you have an older one you may get a better deal. My builder just purchased a large order of the white exterior steel that has the 25 year warranty that he will be using for the interior finish of the buildings. He said because everyone ewants the longer warrantied steel he got a great deal. It was actually cheaper than the typical lughter weight interior steel. I would be a little concerned about the 10' finished height.

Originally Posted by offthefront
Hey guys ..... I am looking at a steel building that a guy bought and then his neighbors would not let him build ...it is 40x60 has one 8x8, one 16x8 and a 3x7 framed opening .. he is asking 15K but said in the same breath thats it negotiable. only thing I don't like is the eave height is only 10' center is 11'10" ... it has been on his property on the pallets for about a year but he sez shows no signs of rust ... I was thinking if I could get it for 12K would be a fairly good deal .... any thoughts ? m

dukenrock 08-06-2005 09:40 PM

I had both quoted. The stick built came in 15K higher.

Originally Posted by TRICK
So has anyone compared the price of stick built or block buildings compared to steel at current pricing?