Notices

Classifieds on OSO

Old 07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Classifieds on OSO

I usually look through the classifieds here a few times a week.
But, I only look at the boats.
I noticed today (the depths of this site sometimes amaze me) that there is a section for employment.
95% of the ad's are marine related.
Has anyone thought of advertising other employment opportunities in the classifieds here??
We have a pretty good group around here (for the most part), and an intelligent group (for the most part), and you would already have an idea of someones character (for the most part...) from speaking with them on the board.
This isn't an ad for OSO's classifieds, just something I noticed today.
I'm kind of looking around for a new gig.
Anyone looking for a procurement/purchasing/scheduling Mgr. that is always out on the floor working with the production people when time allows - I'm you're guy.
If it was marine related, I'd be even happier.
But, my question was really "How many of the rest of you also didn't realize that was here?"
This may be a thread better suited for The Bilge, but I'm posting it here, as it won't get lost - as the employment classifieds has been for me until now.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Classifieds on OSO

Id hire ya Bouyhunter but then you'd have to work in an office full of women and take orders from me for probably less money then you make now and its not marine related.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 AM
Registered

Thanks RG. Working in an office full of women could have it's benefits - but I'm actually HAPPILY married. Could get me in alot of trouble.
"i'd have to take orders from you" - how would that play out in divorce court

Seriously,has anyone ever thought of, or even realized that employment classifieds are available on this board?

I've always been a firm believer that a resume and degree don't mean a lot. I'm more impressed with a new hire's ability to learn a new industry, and understand the business ($) side of things.
A few years ago I went from being a Carpenter (for 15 yrs.) to a purchasing manager for a Global eyeglass manufacturer. Go figure.
I didn't know a thing about eyeglasses - never even wore them myself. I learned by getting out on the production line, and asking alot of questions. By doing this, I was able to save the Co. $350,000 the first year, just by analyzing purchases, and scheduling appropriate delivery.
I think this board is full of hard working people that want to do more with there lives.
You can't own a boat, and not have that "thinking on your feet" gene. Too much can happen out on the water, and you need to think fast. I would think that to be a pretty good trait for employment. Analyzing a situation, thinking fast, and reacting.
I'm not necessarily looking for a job for myself, but I know there are others among us (some of the younger ones come to mind) that deserve a good shot at something.

Me, I got an E-mail where I can re-sell Rolex's really cheap. Then I plan on buying an Enzo. My worries are over.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:39 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check with Uncle Sam ....you can get "marine" work there .....
Old 07-30-2005, 07:28 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Id hire ya Bouyhunter but then you'd have to work in an office full of women and take orders from me for probably less money then you make now and its not marine related.
I've seen some of your pics RG, would it be considered a job if I took your "orders" for free??

Old 07-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I've always been a firm believer that a resume and degree don't mean a lot.
My interview process includes the prospect sitting down with the rest of the girls for an "informal" get to know you. Our job isnt rocket science. I can teach somebody the job. To me its more important that we all get along day to day and know that we can count on each other to help each other out if we start getting stressed. So far so good. I have 8 females in my office and have NO backbiting. No gossiping. No but she said. I think our customers can tell. Its very relaxed when people come in. Buying/selling/ gettin a loan can be very stressful. Our end of it should be easy.

CMG ... is not a job if your enjoyin it
BTW Bouyhunter .... a few of the girls are happily married too. But they would probably still harass you. They make the delivery guys (UPS/Fed Ex/DHL) blush all the time.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Where do I sign up? Are there any casting couch type interviews?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

BALLS!!

I was asking a serious question about employment amongst the OSO bretheren, and Cuda and Racegirl are turning it into a casting call.

Now I'm waiting for Masher and Stecz to chime in, might as well turn this into a complete debacle.
I know, I know, since when does anyone take me seriously anyway - I admit it's rare I take myself seriously.

But , RG I'll still audition, ahem, I mean Interview. And I would like to also be interviewed by my future co-workers in the office