Air Conditioner question ??? >

Air Conditioner question ???

Notices

Air Conditioner question ???

Old 08-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Air Conditioner question ???

Mark.

The unit may be to small for your boat, it may be working to hard, does it ever reach set point and shut down?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Usually restricted air flow. Either clogged with dust/debris on the intake or kinked hose on the outlet. Also check to see if the fan is running at high speed.
Gary
I had the same problem. Turns out I had too many bends in the discharge line which was killing the air flow. Straightened it out and fine now, no more freezing.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

The cabin does get cold and satisfies the thermostat shutting the compressor down. It runs fine and then freezes about 4 or 5 hours later.

I am going to try to get some more return air flow in there to see if that helps.....but that takes cutting more of a bulkhead....which i was trying to avoid.

What would happen if i put a droplight next to the evaporator coils to put some heat on them???
Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
What would happen if i put a droplight next to the evaporator coils to put some heat on them???

How would you sleep @ night, never mind the way you drink you would have no problem

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajabob38
How would you sleep @ night, never mind the way you drink you would have no problem
I was actually amazed on your attempt to help in your last post....thought we had a whole new Bob on our hands. But now i see your back to your regular old self.

Seriously, if i can't figure this out will a lightbulb work? Or Will the heat from the bulb cause the return air to be too hot, resulting in the unti not operating correctly ??
Old 08-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
The cabin does get cold and satisfies the thermostat shutting the compressor down. It runs fine and then freezes about 4 or 5 hours later.

I am going to try to get some more return air flow in there to see if that helps.....but that takes cutting more of a bulkhead....which i was trying to avoid.

What temperature are you keeping your cabin at? If the temperature is being set too low (below 65 or so) then that could cause the freeze up. I would also look at if it is starting to freeze up while it is running and cooling the cabin from the start. If frost is starting to form on the coil from the start the starts lowering airflow which causes more frost/ice to form, which lowers the airflow even more. It starts a vicious cycle. If the unit frosts/ices up during the first run cycle and the stat satisfies but the unit cycles back on before the frost/ice gets a chance to melt you keep the cycle going. I your friend has the time or can lend the gauges he used I would keep them on the unit for awhile while it is running and keep and eye on the pressures. After some run time, there are some things within the refrigerant system that can cause problems you might not see if you were watcvhing it for say 1/2 an hour.

I would not use the light bulb, you are kind of defeating the purpose. If you put the light bulb inside the unit next to the fan or compressor it could bet things too hot and cuase the unit not to run. If it is a lack of airflow the coil will freeze no matter what.

Last edited by nautiintention; 08-10-2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tips nautiintention.

My stat is set at 74. We verified the temp in the cabin when the stat satisfies, and the stat is dead on.

I would check the Coil periodically to look for freezing, and only found moisture on the coil. Then at some point in between checks ( 5 hours of runtime ), it freezes.

I'll see if i can borrow the gauges and leave them on till it does freeze.