Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108914-budgeting-annual-boat-expenses.html)

GLH 07-31-2005 09:59 PM

Re: Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses?

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
....what should I plan on for maintenance/repairs/ upkeep?...

I hope your not too attached to your left nut... Literally. :drink:

articfriends 07-31-2005 10:02 PM

I spend 25k a year between gas,payments,insurance,motor and drive parts and it seems every weekend some 300-400$ part still breaks(blower tensioner broke to day). If we could boat year round in michigan I'd go bankrupt,Smitty

BillR 08-01-2005 07:22 AM

Combine all these posts - and you'll be pretty close. :eek: :drink:

gotime34 08-01-2005 07:34 AM

I spend all of my money on the boat, and thats not a joke. Between engines blowing, drives breaking, the price of f*cking gas, and a new part breaking every weekend...it never ends. Yesterday I spent $164.00 just to change the oil, then got out there and snapped a throttle cable, don't even ask. Then you also have Truck and Trailer repairs thrown in there. The problems never end...but I wouldn't spend my money on anything else.

Croozin2 08-01-2005 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by gotime34
but I wouldn't spend my money on anything else.

That's the saying I live by. I don't hunt, fish very little but we live on the water and I don't regret a dollar that I've spent on my boats up to this point. I don't even worry about a budget other than the payments and insurance. Once you get into something with twin Big Blocks, the gas mileage is going to be pretty close unless you have monster power. All of them will hurt your feelings when it's time to fill up. :eek: Get a note you're comfortable with, some solid insurance coverage and take good care of the boat and you won't be disappointed.

Shore Thing 08-01-2005 09:04 AM

There are two steps in boat buying. The first step is having someone you trust survey the boat in question. The second step is calling all your credit card companies and telling them to raise your limits. ;)

Steve_H 08-01-2005 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
So I'm in looking hard for a Cafe or Gun, and I'm wondering what everyone budgets for the annual costs of operating their boats? I know how much gas costs and that it varies with use, I know what storage is going to cost me and I have a pretty good idea on insurance. Other than those what should I plan on for maintenance/repairs/ upkeep? Is there a general rule of thumb? Just wondering what I should plan on setting aside per month ?

what happened to the Bullet you were thinking of buying?

like Greg said, ~6k/year sounds about right.......................................if nothing serious breaks.

NetGain 08-01-2005 09:34 AM

Let's put it this way, you'll be lying to the wife

miamioffshore 08-01-2005 09:44 AM

Steve H:

The bullet I was looking at was sold before I could get up north to look at it.

I would still consider one, but I would have to be turnkey ready, I don't want a project boat.