Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109020-i-need-boards-advice-%7E-asap.html)

kmiller 08-01-2005 04:25 PM

Re: I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Thats how I bought my boat ( I did not want to get locked in by using ebay) but it was only 1hr away so I could go check it out first then get a loan and buy........

Anarchy Powerboats 08-01-2005 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
I would not leave WI till I'm paid in full. What happens you get out there and he says "PASS" ?

Offer to split his airfare here to view at your house, if no go, offer to pay his arifare complete.

Wire money to your bank before you leave. I would also be careful of cashier checks too; I would not take one.

If he is serious, he will go with your plan.

Ditto

GoCiggie31 08-01-2005 04:30 PM

Cord,

The line "get your money to your bank" is a phrase I would question. For someone looking for a boat and asking them to have it(boat) driven all the way to where they are is just odd to me prior to 'making the deal"-If I was to make a major comittment, I would check it out for my self then make them deliver it that is worked INTO the deal.
Like already noted once you get a phone number or address, then it would appear more legit-until then...could be a scam.
If someone is serious and is dropping big coin, there is no reason that they would not want to give you idenity details.
Even if it is legit, unless they comitt prior to you making the trip, the offer may change forcing you to make a poor decision so you would not have to haul your vessel back home.
Be very carefull and make sure it is a public meeting place if you do go down with the deal. Maybe open an account with a national bank that is also located in your mutual meeting place and meet in the Bank parking lot during normal business hours to complete your transactions. Keep us in the loop as we can help you find pubic places here in the bay area.
I do much business in SanFrancisco, Bay area Sacramento, Just PM me and I can scope out the location of where they reside.

Good luck.

Steamin Rice 08-01-2005 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Tough call... If I was buying, I would NOT give you the full amount until I saw and test rode the boat.

Here is my two-cents... Get his phone number, call him, and get more info (address, etc.) Have him send you the $500 down payment. Drag the boat out there. Give him the boat and title when he gives you the rest of the money. This might happen at his bank.

If he doesn't buy the boat, keep the $500 for towing expenses. Make sure he knows that... :rolleyes:

Good luck... :cool:

This is along the lines that I was thinking. As a seller, it would be nice to be 100% paid in full before leaving to deliver the boat. As a buyer, I would not be willing to pay for something this expensive without either personally seeing it first or letting someone I know personally inspect it.

What if you ask him for a large deposit up front, say $10k, before you start towing the boat. If he backs out of the deal, $2k of that deposit is non-refundable. Worst case, you lost your time and have to tow across the country and back for $2k.

Downtown42 08-01-2005 04:36 PM

Launch in Milwaukee >take it down the Ten-Tom waterway to New Orleans, cruise to Panama and go thru the Panama canal. Your beam should clear. Continue onward thru Baja and North to the Gay Bay.

Make sure you charge him for canal fees, I hear they get expensive. :frog: :frog:

Lofty 08-01-2005 04:52 PM

Cord, a few things.

1) email me this guys contact info and I'll check him out for you. [email protected]. I'm sure I know someone who knows who he is.

2) Ask him for a "irrevocable letter of credit" from his bank. This cannot be revoked by him but requires him to release the funds once delivery has taken place. He could also place the funds in a escrow account of your choosing.

3) Get a cash deposit, say $10k, before you pull out of the driveway. You need SOMETHING in case the deal goes sour and you have to turn around with the boat.

4) Make him pay your travel expenses. That's a LONG haul and you should be compensated. You don't no nothing until you drive hwy 80 from Cheyenne WY to Reno NV. THAT'S allot of nothing!

5) Let me know when you're comming out and we'll go burn some gas. We boat into November every year!

Fionn

WETTE VETTE 08-01-2005 04:58 PM

I had a buddy who sold his boat on e-bay for $28,000. He decided to deliver the boat to save a few bucks. On his way there he had an accident and totaled the boat. The deal was then off and he returned the money back to the buyer and had a hell of a time with the insurance company getting his money. Finally it worked out for him after 3-4 months of BS. I might be inclined to offer a grand or two off the price and have the buyer arrange shipping. Once you have your money and it leaves your driveway it is no longer your problem. I don't see a problem in that type case verifying you have the cash in your account and sending him the title.

Good luck!!

BGIII 08-01-2005 04:59 PM

I would make him come to me, see the boat, sea trial, close the deal, then deliver the boat. You need to sell it, he wants to buy it. If delivering it is what it takes, who cares. Sounds like you have a truck and some time available. If he has 35k cash, I'm sure he can afford a couple hundred for a plane ticket. I wouldn't leave home without the money.

Cord 08-01-2005 05:03 PM

I don't have a chance to reply to you guys right now, but the guy apparently left a message on my answering machine at home. I just sent him a reply not more than 30 seconds ago, so I guess he passes the first stage of the test. Man, I sure hope I'm not getting my chain jerked here.

hp500efi 08-01-2005 05:15 PM

Tim, I sent you an e-mail ;)