Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which Engine/Drive Package??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109092-engine-drive-package.html)

DirtyMoney 08-05-2005 01:41 AM

Re: Which Engine/Drive Package???

Rik you are correct nothing stands out like a set of Arenesons.

Any buyer that looks at an Arneson as a negative is misinformed.

Jassman 08-05-2005 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rik
I realize you are relatively new to the boating scene and do not have any real experience with the numerous setups out there, but do yourself a favor and ask some one like the owner of the new 388 Hustler "Mean Streak" Eric Smith or ‘388 Hustler” Dean Peters both of whom have Arneson's that can dock and maneuver through the marina's without any problems.

Give Hustler or Chip Fendt a call and ask them which docks better, a Bravo boat or an Arneson.

You might be surprised that your notions are a bit off base.

Rik

The 388 ASD-6 I was in docked awesome, I was extremely impressed. It was actually much easier than my #5 set up on my Nortech. The boat had no il handling, we got up to speeds of 77mph, had a cool rooster tale, turned with the best of them. Even getting on plane, had barely any bow rise, took approx 1-2 seconds longer amount of time to plane up, which could have been the way the boat was set up. To me its a simple design that works, it is effecient, handles definatly more power, has a tranny, upgradable shaft, upgradable dry sump tranny, to me it's a no brainer. The problem I see is RESALE, and that is ONLY because of the MIND SET of the general public. Servicing then comes up, TMP has a set of ASD-8s on a 50 Nortech cat, they didnt have a clue how to work on them, they do now, and approve of the system. They also have had experience on the 388 hustler with TMP 950's/ASD-6's, one hell of a kick ass set up. There is another thread floating around on the 39 Cig with the Merc 850's/6's, I would bet this set up will pull even harder. I just think it's great that people are willing to work together and use something other than Mercury. Get rid of the frickin monopoly, there are better products out there, but we are hesitant cause no one wants to take a chance, we need to listen to the ACTUAL people who have experienced different drives than the continual say so, just my personal take on it.

tavis12 08-05-2005 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=Biggus]

Originally Posted by Titan
What HP are the Konrads rated too? And how much torque will they handle?

The Konrad 540 is rated at a very conservative 740 ft lbs of torque. Although they have been tested to much higher levels, (without failure) they are designed to handle up to 800 hp or so.

The Konrad 540 was designed for the US Navy where drive failure is not an option. They are extremely rugged.

As most of you know, last season I had swapped out my Merc drives on my heavy old CigaretteTop Gun for a pair of the mighty Konrad 540's. Since the conversion to Konrads, I've totally eliminated outdrive failures. It sure makes the boat much more enjoyable not having to worry about your drives blowing up. As a matter of fact, I was so impressed with the product and the company, that I went to work for them last April.

Well enough cheer leading :D and back to the original question. Out of the three choices that Wiggler has presented, I'd go with the Ilmor 625 and back it up with a Konrad 540. I feel they are both light years ahead of the competition as far as reliability goes, and that to me is the bottom line. Enjoy your toys.

Kurt

Failure is not an option?! I think "good enough for government work," and "made by the lowest bidder" is a whole lot more accurate.

OldSchool 08-05-2005 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by tavis12
Failure is not an option?! I think "good enough for government work," and "made by the lowest bidder" is a whole lot more accurate.

Welcome to the board Jackazz. You won't last long around here with stupid comments like that. Do a little research. :eureka: :eureka: :(

tavis12 08-05-2005 08:23 AM

Is 6 years in the Marine Corps and the past 7 months in Iraq enough "research" to know that government equipment is garbage?

EDIT: You ****ing turd

OldSchool 08-05-2005 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tavis12
Is 6 years in the Marine Corps and the past 7 months in Iraq enough "research" to know that government equipment is garbage?

EDIT: You ****ing turd

We are talking about engines and outdrives for boats.

By the way, thanks for serving our country.

tavis12 08-05-2005 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
We are talking about engines and outdrives for boats.

By the way, thanks for serving our country.

I know what we're talking about. Biggus said that the Konrad 540 has an advantage because the Navy was involved in its design. I said, based on my personal experience, that gov't involvement is not always a good thing.

To add my opinion on the setup, I would go with the stock mercs. Will a custom "blow by" you at a poker run? Probably. But are you going to keep the boat forever? Probably not, and it's nice to get some of your money back on the other "happiest day for a boater."

Buddy OO 08-05-2005 11:57 AM

Arneson is a great drive in certain applications, But again I've been in and have driven 2 arneson boats and prefer a bravo or speedmaster. People in my market are just very conservative and want resale, and wont even look at a Arneson boat. I'm not down on the drive, Its good for higher hp applications and rough water applications and Jazz is right has a tranny and simple. wish I could convince my customers in the midwest to use it, but It will just not sell here. All people care about here is resale it seems. Boat sales are soft right now and a Merc bravo boat will sell before a arneson boat. Merc has such a stronhold on the market everyone is just scard to change even though there are actually better products out there for less money. Personnally would have an naturally aspirated 750-800efi hp motor with merc 6 drive and be done, or the Ilmor 625 with merc 6 or Konrad would be a great lower hp package.

Rik 08-05-2005 04:25 PM

Like I stated, and Jassman confirmed, you need to ride in a modern boat with the drives on them before you make such claims.

An old staggered setup is nothing when compared to a side by side regardless of whose drives they are and the members on here that I mentioned can confirm the ABILITY to dock and maneuver.

Anarchy Powerboats 08-05-2005 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman
I keep telling you, but you are not listning :p :D ...MERC is over rated, what reliability, they have their own issues. A reliable custom builder will give you more hp for same money. TMP comes to mind, they have a 650 efi, JC, Pfaff, and Im sure there are a few others...Good luck.

Good post, another point is that all of us know and love our fav independant builders, mine personally is Larry Peto of Larrys Engine and Marine. He builds the engines for "Preadator" and send alot of boys home crying every year out here. Point is I would buy a used TMP or Peto or Pfaff before I would get behind Merc. You guys have heard me whine about the 496 HO being a piece of crap and with good reason, it is (I've gone through 3 in a year ).
Blue paint doesn't make you go fast, it makes your engine blue and marketing will not make your boat go anywhere. Quality and consistency should be your top priority when making a purchase followed by whatever your budget is and Wiggler if you have a Nor Tec you shouldn't be worrying about resale you should be worrying about getting punked out by another boat 1/10th the cost of yours :D
Merry Christmas everyone. :eek: :eek: