Notices

trim on a boat with twins

Old 08-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trim on a boat with twins

i know this sounds stupid... but need advice on running a boat with twins. no steps. where should i have the drives and tabs at idle, coming onto plan and cruising? i know i sound stupid.. just don't want to do something that could cause harm to other people. i really don't want to be the cause of another SOTW accident
Old 08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: trim on a boat with twins

first of all I don't think a 17 year old should be driving anything that could go fast enought to cause a problem like that without someone who knows what they are doing VERY close. second concern... see first
Old 08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

The first thing i would recommend to anyone is to take a long straight edge and put it against the bottom of your boat. Then trim your drives untill the prop shaft is parallel with the straight edge. Mark this position on your indicator with a marker, piece of tape ...anything. That is going to usually provide for the best cruise position to run. You can do the same with the tabs. For the best speed on a straight bottom boat I think that you will find that the parallel (neutral) position or a notch or two higher will give you the best results. Some boats like a little tab so you can run them at neutral also. To take off... it depends. Some boats need the tabs all the way down, some dont. I would always keep the drives tucked in untill you get on plane and then slowly bring them out. You dont need to raise them in one fast motion. I believe it was Reggie Fountain that recommended raising the drives and tabs on enotch on the indicator at a time.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by packinair
first of all I don't think a 17 year old should be driving anything that could go fast enought to cause a problem like that without someone who knows what they are doing VERY close. second concern... see first

this is more of a DD situation.. they will be there... just don't want to make an ass of myself more then i do

thanks EH40!

keep the suggestions coming
Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At least your being safety conscious!! Have fun out there an be safe
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna assume that the trim tabs are already set up and showing a neutral position. To get on plane, have the trim tabs at neutral or just a little bow down.

Have the drives tucked in.

After you are on plane you can bring the bow up a little and level the boat with your trim tabs.

Leaving your drives tucked will usually give you the most stable ride, but not the fastest or efficient. If you want to play with the drives... start by bringing them up a touch at a time. You will feel the boat get looser. You will also pick up a little speed.

Change your settings in little baby steps and see how the boat reacts.

Some boats are more forgiving than others.

Do not learn on a Gladiator.

When you are at top speed and have your drives trimmed up, you will have very little hull contact with the water and you will feel it.

Don't make any sudden turns when going fast and trimmed to the moon.

If the boat starts to get too loose, drop your drives a little. You will lose some speed and gain some "grip."

baby steps. Good luck.