Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Should I buy a V bottom or Cat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109160-should-i-buy-v-bottom-cat.html)

cuda 08-03-2005 11:34 AM

Re: Should I buy a V bottom or Cat?

Originally Posted by sutphen30
alittle,,i'd rather be at the tiki bar having drinks or an ocean liner. :drink: nothing rides good in really big waves,nothing.go for the cat. :D

I'm with you on that opinion. It's like when I bought my fishboat 17 years ago. I bought a big 18 footer. When it's not rough, it's big enough, when it's rough, they don't make a damn boat that's big enough.

Buddy OO 08-03-2005 11:42 AM

V for room and comfort to haul alot of people. much slower speeds, less for insurance. depending on which hull makes a huge difference in the v because the hull is in the water much more than a cat that rides on top of the water. cats are totally different animal. Speaking about a Nortech cat. Has small cockpit area, can hold only 6 people, but seats are much more comfortable. cabin has couch, queen bed, sink potti, but are much smaller areas than v bottom. Depending on water and speed the Cat will be more comfortable at higher speeds, over 80mph when hull airs out, but if you get into 4-5 footers and swales I'd rather be in my v bottom. Drop the tabs and nose and hold on. They both handle great but they are made for different purposes. I still love the thrill of a cat, Nothing like it . New to test drive both. look into the Nortech 36. awesome boat and compare to the spectre, i think you'll tell a big difference in ride and stability.

Island Hopper 08-03-2005 12:17 PM

My vote is for the Donzi. not much of a Spectre fan.

Undertaker 08-03-2005 12:27 PM

Donzi all the way!! No Brainer!!

mr_velocity 08-03-2005 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I'd say that's a HUGE exaggeration.....I would rather be in a V bottom in rough water anyday

Guess you've never been in a 36 Skater. Owning a V bottom (41' pleasure) and having raced a Cat, Cat is the only way to go.

They didn't run the SCL and F2 together often, the only time we were able to lap the Virgin boat (when Tres throttled) was when it was rough. What does that tell you?

Sean H 08-03-2005 12:33 PM

who turns the fastest laps at rough water races usually?

enticer 08-03-2005 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cord
A cat has 10 times the ride quality of a V. They also have a faster cruise, and use less fuel to do it. Insurance and the lack of cabin space are the only drawbacks.

Cord....couldn't have said it better than that..........

Sean H 08-03-2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse James
when I way this question I compare Stock boats (Mapei, hulk, berry cuda etc.) to the v-s with 525 efi's what ever they call that class now.......the stock boats usually come out ahead but the margin is narrowing and I believe the last race i read about was fairly rough and a fountain v edged out the fasted cat......I use this because in calm water they have similar top end.......I can tell you my 28 skater would cover my 32 thunder by about 10 mph cruising on LOTO and they both were 95-100mph boats..

compare supercat lite vs vee (525 boats) who's faster? the cats have them covered by roughly 9-10 MPH average speed..

The Menace 08-03-2005 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cord
A cat has 10 times the ride quality of a V. They also have a faster cruise, and use less fuel to do it. Insurance and the lack of cabin space are the only drawbacks.

I have as much room in the cabin as a deep V with a queen size bunk over the tunnel. Depends on the cat. Some have "0" cabin to speak of.

The Menace 08-03-2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I'd say that's a HUGE exaggeration.....I would rather be in a V bottom in rough water anyday

I disagree. I have a Top Gun and a cat. I will take the cat any day of the week over the TG.

BUT, You have to keep the sticks forward. Otherwise you will get beat up.

And you can blow off what I say but the girlfirend loves the ride of the CAT vs. the TG. That my friends, is the bottom line.