Notices

Latest from the $MC website

Old 08-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Angry Latest from the $MC website

Issue:
The Endangered Species Act (ESA) of 1973 is the most important federal wildlife law that protects manatees and other endangered and threatened species of animals and plants from extinction. Rep. Richard Pombo (R-CA) has drafted a bill that would radically gut this landmark law that has, for more than 30 years, saved many species from forever disappearing from the earth. We need your help to preserve the ESA and its current strengths.

According to the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), Pombo’s draft bill, cynically entitled Threatened and Endangered Species Recovery Act of 2005, is “an anti-recovery bill which will not only kill endangered species, it will kill the Endangered Species Act itself.” In addition to completely repealing the Endangered Species Act in 2015, CBD determined that the bill would immediately:

Eliminate the requirement to recover endangered species
Reduce protection of threatened species and critical habitat areas
Politicize and eliminate scientific decision-making
Eliminate independent federal oversight
Bury federal biologists under mountains of useless paperwork
Bankrupt the federal agencies by diverting conservation funds to pay landowners and corporation to obey the law
Encourage an increase in industry litigation
We must start working NOW to prevent Rep. Pombo’s draft bill from ever becoming law.

What You Can Do:
Please call, write, or send an e-mail to your U.S. congressional members. Tell them you support the ESA and that you oppose Representative Pombo’s bill that would weaken protections for our nation’s endangered species.

On the Web: You can find contact information for your senators and representative at www.congress.org. Just click on "U.S. Congress" in the left-hand menu, type in your zip code, and click Go!

Phone: Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. Give them your zip code and ask for the phone numbers for your senators and representative.

Get More Info:
Read more about this issue at the Endangered Species Coalition web site: www.stopextinction.org. (SMC is a member of the coalition.)

You can also go to CBD’s website at www.biologicaldiversity.org for a thorough critique of Pombo’s bill.

Thank you for your help on this most important issue!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Latest from the $MC website

anyone see the episode of Bull$hit on this law. It has effectively done nothing to protect anything.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Registered

If it pisses off the $MC I'm all for it.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mr. Velocity has it right. It amazes me how me people like Mr. Ferry believe that government programs like these actually work. The evidentiary standards for listing a species as endangered under Sec. 4 (b)(1)(A) are "best scientific and commercial data available". Just think how difficult it would be to count the number of frogs or birds just in your neighborhood, let alone your county or state. I encourage all members of this board to do some research the Endangered Species Act and how many species have actually been saved before you buy into this BS. I used to have some of the congressional testimonies on this subject but lost the hard drive it was on. I believe WWW.NWI.ORG has some of this information.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Viper31
Mr. Velocity has it right. It amazes me how me people like Mr. Ferry believe that government programs like these actually work. The evidentiary standards for listing a species as endangered under Sec. 4 (b)(1)(A) are "best scientific and commercial data available". Just think how difficult it would be to count the number of frogs or birds just in your neighborhood, let alone your county or state. I encourage all members of this board to do some research the Endangered Species Act and how many species have actually been saved before you buy into this BS. I used to have some of the congressional testimonies on this subject but lost the hard drive it was on. I believe WWW.NWI.ORG has some of this information.

I believe you have badly misinterpreted what Dean Ferry posted. He only posted what was posted on the $MC website. It is NOT his opinion or belief. You would be hardpressed to find someone more against the $MC than Dean, and probably most government "intrustions".

In rereading Dean's post, I find it hard to believe that you could have made that mistake. He plainly states that "this" is off the $MC website. I would suggest next time you take the time to understand and comprehend what someone is posting before you criticize them.

No offense meant.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well Said Formula Outlaw!!!!!!! Dean is a very close friend and I have to tell you that he is not against the manatee but like all of us he is certainly against $MC. As previously posted $MC is only interested in the manatee because it is tied directly to their personal income. Viper 31 you might want to reread Deans post before you try to put him down. He is one of the most outspoken OSO members against $MC.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

I must have misunderstood as well. After reading, it sounded to me as if he was taking a position against the proposed bill. Glad to hear otherwise. I don't live in CA, but this type of thing affects the entire country. Being a civil/structural engineer, I have to deal with endangered species issues on a regular basis and see how far beyond the original intent of actually saving the animals these people have gone.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BajaBennett
Well Said Formula Outlaw!!!!!!! Dean is a very close friend and I have to tell you that he is not against the manatee but like all of us he is certainly against $MC. As previously posted $MC is only interested in the manatee because it is tied directly to their personal income. Viper 31 you might want to reread Deans post before you try to put him down. He is one of the most outspoken OSO members against $MC.
Formula Outlaw & BajaBennett

I reread the post and still could not see where Mr. Ferry was trying to convey that he was against this. All the same I was not intending to put anyone down and if Dean is offended I apologize. We need to contact our representatives and tell them we support Rep. Pombo's bill. This tree hugger stuff really gets my panties in a bind. I hope to retire in Florida and sell Manatee burgers for gas money.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Search for a few of Dean's previous posts, it will become clear.

Does the "$" in the $MC, not give away which side he's on???

It's all good, we're all on the same side here.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Viper31
Formula Outlaw & BajaBennett

I reread the post and still could not see where Mr. Ferry was trying to convey that he was against this. All the same I was not intending to put anyone down and if Dean is offended I apologize. We need to contact our representatives and tell them we support Rep. Pombo's bill. This tree hugger stuff really gets my panties in a bind. I hope to retire in Florida and sell Manatee burgers for gas money.

Viper, you are correct in that Dean did not come right out and state his position however the "mad" insignia right at the beginning of the title of the post would signify he was mad at the $MC website's posting. And as others have said, if you have read any of Dean's posts it's VERY clear where he stands. He is almost as outspoken as me...

We are all in this together. That's how come I stuck my nose in the "Lake Winnie" speed limit issue.

If anyone posts in here about being on the side of the $MC, that person is going to hear about it real quick. And the first two will be from Dean and myself.

All is cool.

Quick Reply: Latest from the $MC website

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.