Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109426-what-best-stuff-take-off-build-up-stainless-polished-items.html)

thisistank 08-06-2005 04:20 PM

What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

For you that boat in Havasu (or some other lakes w/harsh water) you know what I'm talking about. I think it's lye build up (??). I tried mothers, steel wool, and a butt load of other stuff but cant get the chalky crap off of my props. If I scratch it with my finger nail it comes off but that will take waaaaaay longer than I have time for. Anyone know what works the best?

DanB 08-06-2005 04:28 PM

Re: What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

50/50 muratic acid and water(swimming pool acid)...........the white crap dissapers

thisistank 08-06-2005 05:02 PM

Re: What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

Thanks you guys....I'll try the lime away first :D

kcgbjc 08-06-2005 06:16 PM

Tell me how it works Tank. Vinegar & Water is just okay, not great.

waybomb 08-06-2005 07:20 PM

I used Easy-Off Acid Based Lime Remover. Effortless. Spray it on with a squirt bottle, gently wipe, and hose it off.

TxHawk 08-06-2005 07:32 PM

Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I use this every weekend and it works great. I dont even have to scrub anything. I used it on the exhaust tips, steering etc, all the metal. It all looks great. Snow Bowl is the best but the nearest dollar store has some stuff called The Works and for $1 it is awesome!

KRAZYKATZ 08-06-2005 07:32 PM

how come lime away not on the gel coat , you got me nervous
ive been using it for years

Phantom1 08-06-2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I use this every weekend and it works great. I dont even have to scrub anything. I used it on the exhaust tips, steering etc, all the metal. It all looks great. Snow Bowl is the best but the nearest dollar store has some stuff called The Works and for $1 it is awesome!

The Works is basically Lime Away for 1/3 the price - good stuff. I use it in cleaning a variety of things, mainly the glass shower doors in our house.

SmilingBob 08-06-2005 09:00 PM

A nice trick for the exhaust tips and other polished and stainless parts is to take paper towels or rags and soak them with the Lime Away and then lay then over what ever you want to clean. Give it a couple of minutes and the parts come clean with no hassles.

traviss 08-06-2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SmilingBob
A nice trick for the exhaust tips and other polished and stainless parts is to take paper towels or rags and soak them with the Lime Away and then lay then over what ever you want to clean. Give it a couple of minutes and the parts come clean with no hassles.

Same thing I do... everything comes out perfect :D