Notices

Sml 4 Labor Day

Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sml 4 Labor Day

For all of you who are thinking about staying away due to the issues of late...DON'T!!

Let me inform you of a conversation I had with the Game Warren this last weekend... After a lengthy discussion about the accident, which he was VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about... I came out and just asked about the objective of having the extra patrol on the water... wanted to know if they were targeting any certain class of boat (ie: Powerboats) He said "not at all" Said that most of the time the powerboaters were more help than anything else, responding to calls & assisting on rescues. He said his group realized that the accident was an isolated innocent and had nothing to do with the type of boats involved. I told him some guys were going to stay away due to the fear of being hassled... He said that as long as they were legit and not breaking any laws they would have nothing to worry about. But he assured me that they would be stopping more people and running checks.... he said they had to in order to show a presents on the lake. We were out this last weekend with Rich and made 2 passes in front of the patrol check without any concern. They were not discriminating...had an older couple on a pontoon pulled over and a cruiser.

My thinking is this... If we hide then it's like we have something to hide from. We need to show our support and come together on this issue. There ARE some officials that would love to see the powerboaters regulated on the SML waters (with other areas only steps behind). We can't fight this if we're not supportive. If we don't stand up for our rights others will start making the rules and we will see so many regulations that it just won't be worth it. So I'm asking that everyone who was planning on coming, still do. If you need new places to stay, then look for a house to rent. They are usually pretty cheap if you split the cost.

Don't run from this issue. We must come together.

We're all meeting at the Bridge at 10AM on Saturday. If you get stopped, be supportive, don't run your mouth and you'll be on your way in only a minute or two.

This is just my position and know others will have there's... I just don't want to roll over and let certain officials make the rules.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:03 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Amen Bro.We'll be there this weekend.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Right on. I came very close to making the run there this weekend, but the HRPA is planning a big run up the James River to Chippokes Plantation this Saturday with some dogs & burgers BBQ'd off the transoms, so I'm gonna hang local. Thought about even making a day run to Kerr Reservoir possibly Friday or Sunday as well just for kicks. We'll see how the weather pans out after Katrina has had her way. My brother who is in the Coast Guard stationed in New Orleans is somewhere amongst all that right now.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

SML was great this weekend. It was quiet, and there were patrol boats out. I was on several 'performance boats', both riding and driving. Although I was on a boat that got stopped, it was a valid reason for the citation that was issued; albeit a small one, (dealer demo boat, and we had the number plaque inside the boat and not displayed well).

I plan to go back to SML for Labor Day Weekend. Just make sure you are legit, have all your equipment, and don't act stupid... which should be your method for boating at all times.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Registered

Be there Fri-Mon.
Can anyone join SMLPBA, tell me how.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TwistedTight
Be there Fri-Mon.
You'll have to learn the secret hand shake be at the bridge on sat. at 10:00am.see Jim aka Blue by you,he'll be the one taking orders off of my wife.lol
Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TwistedTight
Be there Fri-Mon.
Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc has been a long time coming. More information will be available soon but I will be registering members on Saturday 10AM, at the Bridge just before our little fun run. I can also forward out a registration form to anyone who would like to register via email. Just email me at ([email protected] under the subject of SMLPBA and I'll reply back to you.) We are just in the beginning stages of this and the plan is to be rolling out for the 2006 season, with full representation. (Remember SML poker run is pretty early in the season) so your registration now will be good thru the end of 06. The cost is still being decided (if any) and we're looking into exactly what that cost may or may not get you. (ie: Shirts, Hats, etc)

If anyone wants info and doesn't see me, stop over to Rich's blue Active Thunder or Brian's "Monsoon" A/T for info.

We need members...not only for representation at the runs and such, but also for representation here at SML.

If anyone has specifics questions or requests, please let me know. We'll also be looking for volunteer board members.
Attached Thumbnails Sml 4 Labor Day-smlpba_20rev4-black.jpg   Sml 4 Labor Day-smlpba_20rev4-white.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Will just informed me that a public meeting has been scheduled for next Thursday the 8th from 6-8 at the church just down the road from the bridge (announcement is to be released at 1PM today via local news media) This will be a forum to voice opinions regarding regulations, changes, etc here at SML. We as a group MUST have representation. I am calling on all powerboaters to attempt to attend this meeting. We will chose a spokesperson to voice our opinion. IF we do not show up in force we run the risk of being out numbered and having rules dictated to us. Please mark your calendars and I will post more info when it becomes available.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Good luck at the meeting. I would show up dressed well and appearing very business like/respectable. Those rural elderly types have a picture painted in their brain that all powerboaters are irresponsible ya-hoo's. Perception is everything as it is in all business. A picture paints a thousand words.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

We are always at SML.

Stop buy our dock. at Lake Side.
Dock across from Lake Side Marina
Checkmate 283 will be hung in the dock.

Who started SMLPBA and any info would be great.
[email protected]

Quick Reply: Sml 4 Labor Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.