Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any In-sight on Mercruiser's New Drive? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109584-any-sight-mercruisers-new-drive.html)

Lucididee 08-09-2005 04:31 PM

Re: Any In-sight on Mercruiser's New Drive?

Originally Posted by JoeD
I cant afford gold status I own an outerlimits.

:rolleyes: We'll take up a collection and get it for you for xmas! I may be able to swing you the Platinum (Approximately 130 days til xmas, $49.95 for the membership, should break down to $.35 a day.) I should be able to swing it! :evilb: I'll talk to ya later 2nite.

Buddy OO 08-09-2005 04:54 PM

The Konrad is the deal, rock solid drive, don't hold your breath on a new Merc drive, not in the works. Call Fred and order the high performance konrad

Canada Jeff 08-10-2005 06:36 AM

Doesn't the Konrad need a transmision in front of it?

If so, not a fair compare to a bravo.

I hope this "mini six" is shiftable. other wize it better be priced acordingly. My opinion.

CMG 08-10-2005 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff

I hope this "mini six" is shiftable. other wize it better be priced acordingly. My opinion.

good point - now if Conrad came out with a shiftable replacement to a Bravo One just think of the market between 500-800hp

Raylar 08-10-2005 09:56 PM

If Mercury has a new "mini-six" drive coming out that would be great, but remember #6's use trannys too. I also bet the cost won't be "MINI"! The real problem with drives is not really the drives, its the design needed for an internally shifted drive, and they are not now capable of taking more than about 600HP and therefore the Konrad with an internal or external tranny is one of the best drives for the dollar for over 600-800HP drive range. Imco's 4x4 drive with tranny is a choice and Max Machine Works reworked units do a pretty awesome job in that range too! As for 800HP plus it seems like #6's with trannys, Weismans or Arnesons are about the only real reliable options. Pack the wallet, you'll need it for these babies!

Ray @ Raylar

TSUNAMIRACING 08-11-2005 07:27 AM

I spoke to Mercruiser yesterday, no information was released on the new drive. I have heard that the new unit has been under development for sometime and was supposed to have been released already. Fellow OSS racers have told me not to make any decisions until the new unit becomes available so that I could compare apples to apples. Looks like we'll have to wait for the Miami Boat Show to see what comes out.

Marginmn 08-11-2005 07:40 AM

When I spoke with Konrad last winter their shiftable drive was ready and they had hoped to debut it at the Miami show - but then "YOU KNOW WHO" took legal action against Konrad to keep it off the market.

I guess it's still tied up in a legal dispute or Konrad will be selling it by now.

CMG 08-11-2005 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Marginmn
When I spoke with Konrad last winter their shiftable drive was ready and they had hoped to debut it at the Miami show - but then "YOU KNOW WHO" took legal action against Konrad to keep it off the market.

I guess it's still tied up in a legal dispute or Konrad will be selling it by now.

Sounds like Microsoft, gee did M_____ invent the shiftable drive?? :mad:

ernie davis 08-11-2005 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Marginmn

That's funny, given the Bravo was pretty much a rip off of the old 280 Volvo's :drink: :eek: :drink: .

Not sure why more people don't use Volvo out drives......anyone ever see one break?

Talk to glassdave about the Volvo's on the back of the batboat's. None dead so far after 2 years of racing.

Just ramblings from your Uncle Ernie

dockrocker 08-11-2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff

I hear that Mercury uses "metric pricing" - whatever the price would be in good old American dollars, you double it then add 30, just like going from Celcius to Fahrenheit.

You're a canuck, you ought to be used to that sort of thing! ;)