If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    yeah....that one

2 ? 3 ? OR 4 Stage water pump?

what would be the best and why and what is the best way to plumb them......

supercharged,innercooled, and bell housing coolers.....

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI

Re: 2 ? 3 ? OR 4 Stage water pump?

Do two water pickups. Preferably transom pickups. One will be dedicated to the engine with a mascerator type strainer. The second pickup will go to a mini mascerator type strainer. This way, the water will be cut off when the boat is off plane. This will prevent the fuel from condensing on the cooler. I would use a stock merc water pump with stock merc oil coolers. This way you can use preformed hoses and the merc brackets. When they are custom painted you get a nice clean installation. I know KE makes a multi-stage water pump, but has anybody ever really needed one? A stock waterpump is nice because you can get a impeller just about anywhere.

My Boats:
    08' 44 MTI

Most high performance builder use a 2 stage. One going to each bellhousing cooler then each bellhousing cooler has a line running forward to a dual intlet crossover. You will need a bellhousing that has an inlet and outlet for each cooler. You can also have a bung welded into each cooler in you only have one outlet in each.This what I did this winter.

You can also have a two stage water pump that has one outlet that feeds the oil coolers with a single inlet crossover.This is the normal merc 900SC configuraton.
    In retrospect I would probably go with the second option if your not already plumbed with a dual inlet crossover. I spent over $1500 on two new crossovers and stainless braided lines to plumb them.

Also KE dual stage water pumps use standard merc impellers.
    Last edited by 44MTI; 08-09-2005 at 06:31 PM.

McHenry, Illinois

Having a seperate water pickup for the intercooler has a host of issues I can not get comfortable with. For one you will need a blow off valve to control the water pressure spikes or risk the possiblity of blowing the cooler. Second problem is a big problem, no water in the intercooler and it will get real hot and likely crack with the introduction of cold water when you take off.

I use a two stage pump. One stage for the engine and one for the intercooler. I also use a Stainless Marine intercooler sea strainer just before the intercooler. It has a fine mesh filter to prevent small bits plugging up the cooler.
    Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 08-09-2005 at 08:35 PM.