Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound? >

Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

Notices

Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

Old 08-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Re: Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
They kind of sound like a UPS truck taking off...that's no kidding.

The sound is ok but more like a 5 cylinder than a V-10....but the torque is unbeatble.

It aint fancy tech stuff but lots and lots of cubic inches. With a reliable drive probably a great set-up. All I keep hearing are the words "Illmor Viper" and "reliability" in the same sentence.

Illmor is down the street from me..I have stopped by a few times...top drawer company and the reps say they are there if you need service. I have not heard otherwise.
Hmmm, pretty much the same cubic inches as the 525 and 600. And much more fancy tech stuff than just hanging a blower on a motor.. Not sure what you are saying Hydro? I do agree that the torque through the RPM range is very impressive. If you haven't experienced it, try it.

I agree with the comments that they sound like an indy car. Not as throaty as a V8 at idle. But IMO they sound better when get up to into the higher ends of the RPM range.
Attached Thumbnails Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?-ilmor-625.jpg  

Last edited by Mentalpause; 08-12-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

I think what I am driving at is I like the idea of spreading out the power over 10 cylinders. The sound is fine..you just expect it to be different. All in all 625 HP is way cool.

Paxton has a kit for the engine:

Increases HP 40% and Torque 21%

That's 875 HP and Roughly 700 lb ft of torque.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/systems.as...t&Part=1201840

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-12-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Ok Tillery out with it. You gonna put the 625s in your F4?

Old 08-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Father and I put together the first Viper engine in a race boat back in April 2002 ( Miami SBI race ) with a company called Natrix Marine from France. We tested the motor back to back with a Mercruiser 500 EFI and they were with in 1 mph of each other.At idle it was fairly quiet and at WOT it did have a unique sound to it.
Natrix Marine did not have an exhaust system designed like they do now with headers with the Illmor package so it would effect the horse power potential.The motor at that time needed more development but I felt with time and $$$ it could be a Winner.It seems that Illmor have done a great job on this package and they are now performing real well.

Look at the exhaust we were running at the time. Everyone would say : "Is that a Viper car engine you guys put in a boat".

Regards,

Jo - Pantera Boats
Attached Thumbnails Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?-dodge-viper-motor-pic..jpg   Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?-dodge-motor-28.jpg  

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 08-13-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
My Father and I put together the first Viper engine in a race boat back in April 2002 ( Miami SBI race ) with a company called Natrix Marine from France. We tested the motor back to back with a Mercruiser 500 EFI and they were with in 1 mph of each other.At idle it was fairly quiet and at WOT it did have a unique sound to it.
Natrix Marine did not have an exhaust system designed like they do now with headers with the Illmor package so it would effect the horse power potential.The motor at that time needed more development but I felt with time and $$$ it could be a Winner.It seems that Illmor have done a great job on this package and they are now performing real well.

Look at the exhaust we were running at the time. Everyone would say : "Is that a Viper car engine you guys put in a boat".

Regards,

Jo - Pantera Boats
Jo...an engine from France...did it have a rev limiter at 1500 RPM? French don't like to chance anything..
Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I turned it as high as 5800 RPM at WOT.The guys at Natrix are racers and run a Pantera 36' now in the P1 circuit. They figured it would be in good hands while doing some R and D on it.

regards,

JO
Old 08-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's good the French like Offshore..there is hope...
Old 08-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 625 vipers in my boat, but I have not heard them from the outside the boat, but am told they sound strange in a good way. I know that they have a nice lope to them at idle. The 550's were a little more stock sounding at idle. I do like the hum at 6000rpm. As was mentioned earlier, they are extremely fuel efficient for a 625hp engines. They are by the way only 505 ci
(8.3 liter)
Old 08-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the MTI that Chi Town and Candyman rode in sounded awesome. Talk about a reliable combination. Nothing fancy-fuel injection. I think they would be ultra reliable compared to a blower motor. Just my .02 KS
Old 08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Steet
I have the 625 vipers in my boat, but I have not heard them from the outside the boat, but am told they sound strange in a good way. I know that they have a nice lope to them at idle. The 550's were a little more stock sounding at idle. I do like the hum at 6000rpm. As was mentioned earlier, they are extremely fuel efficient for a 625hp engines. They are by the way only 505 ci
(8.3 liter)
I really thought they were bigger....they just seem to make power in an effortless way. The big problemo is trying to compete in a monopolized marketplace.....everything is bundled or volume contracted by "Big Blue"....they own or have a piece of many of the other manufacturing companies...

Quick Reply: Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.