Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Weight Stations (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109902-weight-stations.html)

GLH 08-12-2005 08:09 AM

Re: Weight Stations

Originally Posted by steve1k99
Cop was probably just having a bad day.
Thanks everyone...

Her husband probably doesn't listen to her.................either.

boathead 08-12-2005 09:53 AM

steve1k99,
I agree with thunderusone, go to a truckstop or feedmill scale, you will be very surprised to find that you'll be WELL over 18K!!!!!
My guess is 21-23K with that rig.
My GCWR is 21,500lb. and that's with my old 3/4 ton Cummins and 38 Powerquest( I think the Cig will be a bit heavier), My 1 ton probably pushes it well over 22K. These figures are Fully Loaded with petrol and all the goodies.
Congrats on the new Cig!!!
Paul

WARPARTY36 08-12-2005 10:01 AM

We run all over the country with 10'6" and 11'9" boats, and haven't stopped at a scale yet. (knock, knock) We do run oversize signs, flags, and have permits. I haven't been asked for them yet, thankfully.

offshoredrillin 08-12-2005 10:51 AM

My tiger and my dually with myself and my buddy was 21020 lbs...half tank in both tanks on the boat too:D

PatriYacht 08-12-2005 01:07 PM

We've pulled the Black Thunder in Mich. Indiana and Illinois without ever stopping at a weigh station. Loaded gcw has to be over 22,000 lbs.

salesmanship 08-12-2005 01:54 PM

Don't ask don't tell and if stopped, always plead ignorance.

Hot Duck 08-13-2005 10:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We never stopped with the Top Gun or the Gladiator behind dually pickups. We don't even stop now with the Apache and the Peterbilt. Some scale signs say "commercial vehicles only" and some say "all vehicles over XX,XXX pounds". Knock on wood, we have never stopped at the scales with any of the rigs and have never had them come after us. I worried about the Peterbilt at first, but it has not been a problem. One look at it and you can tell that it is not an average over the road truck and it is tagged as a personal recreational vehicle (non commercial) under 26K pounds.

If they ever come after me for passing the scales I will deal with it then. One good thing is that I do have the correct class of license, but it is non commercial. In Maryland you can get a class A or B non commercial license. This will allow you to legally operate that particular class of vehicle, just not for hire.

If the police really wanted to get picky, they could nail most of us with the overall length. Most states have maximum overall vehicle lengths or maximum trailer lengths, many of which technically make a dually and a 38' boat illegal without special permits. Thank goodness that this is not strictly enforced!

So after all of my rambling, I would say to just roll on and don't worry about stopping. Besides, if you pass a scale where they wanted you to stop, they will let you know! :p

cjsdad62 08-14-2005 06:42 PM

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Hauling Trash 08-14-2005 07:04 PM

Just drive right bye