Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anybody in the Jacksonville Area? >

Anybody in the Jacksonville Area?

Notices

Anybody in the Jacksonville Area?

Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody in the Jacksonville Area?

I might have an opportunity to be transferred to Jacksonville in a few weeks and am going down tonight to have a look. Maybe I'll be into a new boat in the next 6 months. Hooray.
Anybody have any insight on the boating scene down there?

Thanks.

Randy Taylor
Old 08-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default Re: Anybody in the Jacksonville Area?

Offthefront, and Chrome Gorilla spring to mind.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ocean, intracoastal waterway, or the St. Johns River. Take your pick. Excluding the occasional too chilly day during the winter, you can wear your boat out 365 days a year.

Fernandina to the north, St. Augustine to the south are easy day trips via intracoastal or outside. The intracoastal in both directions is dotted with eateries and Fort George (north of the St Johns about 5 miles) is the most popular hang out spot in the salt.

The Jax Landing, Doctor's Inlet w/ Whitey's, Julington Creek W/ Clark's, Black Creek, the Outback Crabshack on 6 Mile Creek, Palatka, Silver Glen are all popular spots along the St. Johns. All are within minutes to a couple of hours from Downtown in a 50ish mile per hour boat. And that is just a few.

Maybe some of the best boating anywhere. Good luck.

Last edited by mosport1; 08-12-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

Randy, mosport nailed it. There is a ton of boating in and around Jacksonville. St. Johns river is pretty much wide open with the only no wake zone being downtown at the waterfont. Lots of destinations. Don't even have to winterize your boat. Since I bought my boat in Jul 04 I have boated at least 3 days every month since. Including a nice 75* day on Jan 1st. What field of work are you in?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered

thanks mosport:

just returned last night. i should know later this week about setting plans in stone to move down there. the place sweemed a little quiet, maybe i missed the right parts of town. stayed in neptune beach at sea turtle hotel. beautiful area though.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Jacksonville is so spread out that there is no one particular "happening' area. It is the largest city in the US, land area wise.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Registered

How can you not like a town when boating on New Years has become a tradition We've been out on the last 4 or 5. Scott maybe we need to plan a New Years day raft up for 2006???

If you do decide to transfer remember to try and live on the same side of the St. Johns river as you work. The bridges can get a little hectic around rush hour. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not Miami ..."Thank God" ...but it is prob one if not the fastest growing area's of the state right now ... which is not necessarily a good thing ... Like everyone stated the weather is nice but not tropical ...we have four seasons .... It can have 20's low ....but later that day be in the 60's ....hard to beat area ... PLUS ... cuda's place less than 2 hours away !
Old 08-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Registered

that would be the south side of the river, or east depending on the way you look at it. i saw a few apartment complexes. maybe you guys have a suggestion or two for a rental under $1,000 or $1,100?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quiet? Nightlife, I assume. Staying at the Sea Turtle, you were at the beaches' most lively corner. Ragtime, Sun Dog, etc were right out your room door. However, stuff is spread all over the beach as well as the rest of town so don't expect a lot of density.

As far as living arrangements, there is the beach and everywhere else. The beaches (Atlantic Beach south to Ponte Vedra) have had a tremendous resurgence in the last decade. It is the "in" spot in Jax. Just ask any beach person and they will tell you. Twice if you listen long enough. The rents will reflect that and the traffic west in the morning and east in the afternoon is challenging.

East of the river, San Marco would be my choice. Quaint surroundings, great nightlife, and a variety of older apartment buildings on or very near the river that have great character. It's across the river from downtown and if you had to travel east to work , you would oppose beaches traffic.

Baymeadows/Tinseltown is another suggestion. Lots of living possibilities, nightlife, conveniences, and centrally located in relation to beach and river.