Notices

Noise Boats vs Bikes

Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noise Boats vs Bikes

Loud pipes save lives. 'nuf said.

BTW... The water cops in Texas don't care about load boats.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually they are cracking down on bike noise, thats why I take it nice and easy going thru towns or when people are around. I'll be the first to say that my pipes are pretty load even with baffles. Believe what you want but I am completely sold that it is a safety issue with a bike. There are way too many people out there on the road just not paying attention.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by grump
I live in a beach town in Sw Florida on one of the two access roads to the beach. I can tell you on the weekends with a hundred or so bikes going by my place each day its getting real old fast. I have to have mufflers on my car and boat. so whats the deal with bikes? I'm not buying the safety issue crap. No help from the county sheriff dept yet. I guess I'll have to go up the ladder. Becoming increasing annoyed. PS not to mention the boom box noise from some of these cretins vehicles and the fart pipes on the four bangers.
So why do they call you Grump?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Registered

There is not one single thread of truth that loud pipes on bikes save lives. The truth is that the most common car/bike accident is a car turning left in front of a bike coming the other way. No way in hell does that driver, espesh in a closed car with the AC and radio on is going to hear that bike until it's sitting in the passenger seat. Second most common is a car changing lanes into a bike that's sitting in it's blind spot off the rear corner. Another condition where the driver will very likely not hear even a very loud bike. In that case, it's the guy on the bike that has placed himself somewhere that he shouldn't be.

I agree the laws are biased and unfair. Texas has no noise laws for bikes.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

So work on getting the laws on loud boat pipes eased, why start trouble for motorcycles because your having problems with the water patrol. If loud pipes prevent one crash on a cycle I think thats a good thing don't you? I doubt a few loud cycles will ruin your life and if it is you should be *****ing about loud boats too.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure that the people that are trying to crack down on noise from boats are control V ing the crap out of this thread. What a bunch of hypocrits we are..........

Jon
Old 08-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Registered

Quit pulling out in front of the bikes.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnJan
There is not one single thread of truth that loud pipes on bikes save lives. The truth is that the most common car/bike accident is a car turning left in front of a bike coming the other way. No way in hell does that driver, espesh in a closed car with the AC and radio on is going to hear that bike until it's sitting in the passenger seat. Second most common is a car changing lanes into a bike that's sitting in it's blind spot off the rear corner. Another condition where the driver will very likely not hear even a very loud bike. In that case, it's the guy on the bike that has placed himself somewhere that he shouldn't be.

I agree the laws are biased and unfair. Texas has no noise laws for bikes.
Better be publishing the study you've obviously conducted because I know for a fact that the sound of my bike has definately made my presence known for the people driving completely unaware of their surroundings. As far as bikes being in a place they shouldn't....maybe drivers should turn down the stereo, get the dog off their lap, put down the Big Mac and cell phone and start paying attention to the f&cking road.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Registered

Everything that I drive is loud. No one is going to change that. But, I am as considerate as I can be in all circumstances. It's the few inconsiderate ones that bring all the negative commentary.