Notices

Noise Boats vs Bikes

Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Noise Boats vs Bikes

Is it just me..or have others noticed that the laws dont seem fair! Motorcycles seem to be exempt from the noise laws..it seems the louder the better! Boats on the other hand have our dBa under the watchful eye of law enforcement. I boat on the Great lakes, and so far I have not been stopped. I like the sound my twin 502s make, but I do have mufflers available if need be. Any comments would be appreciated
Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Re: Noise Boats vs Bikes

AMEN!!! I love the sound of big blocks cruising down the lake but some of the harleys startle me in traffic. I live in an older neighborhood on a main street and there are 3 or 4 straight pipe dikkheads that come in all hours of the night and wake me up. I am going to take the muffler off of my Duramax and start doing late night burnouts with the edge on level 5 in front of thier houses. WTF??? I don't set the total advance on my boat motors on the water hose at midnight.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Registered

I know they crack down on our muscle cars in Ohio for it but yeah your right not on the motorcycles, but I am not going to start anything with those guys.-Sorry
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I dont get it either.There is loud and then there is obnoxious.As in any sport,you are going to get some inconsiderate losers who run their equipment like that and in turn,ruin it for everyone else.In N.H.,I think the decibel level is 82 for boats and 106 for bikes.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Registered

The arguement is that the loudness of the bike keeps them safer because cars will hear them resulting in the car being less likely to pull out in front of a bike if they think there is one comming.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 AM
Registered

I have had rice bikes and now have a Harley and loud pipes do keep people from cutting you off. Or could it be my T shirt "cut me off and I will shoot you"
Old 08-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Registered

same way here , the local hangout on our lake is where boats and bikes meet, people around hear complain about the loud boats and we have to defend them,
but then you have a group of bikes leave and they get on the gas and you can't hear you own voice and the same people say nothing because the like the bike thing.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered

I agree with the unfairness, but have race and rode bikes for 40 years. the thing to do is fix the problem not start a bigger one. For the last three years when ever I start my boat the neighber call thr cops. I call him and he hangs up. Last year some one turned me in for raising Hell to close to shore, the cops came by car to my house and by boat. They wanted to put me in jail. But I was not even in town ,My wife and I were at another lake doing a fun run. When they found that out they felt stuiped and looked stuiped . They try to stop me every time out it is getting old. And I had them test the boat in the spring for db and it passed.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a noise problem with helicopters on the island. Which I think is much loder than a harley.For a mere $1200. (one way) you can ride in style from NYC to the Hamptons. All freakin weekend long one after another. If your outside on the phone, the conversation needs to stop..its that loud! Can't enjoy a peacefull weekend in the backyard.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

I honestly don't get it. Here in CT there was a sound law just passed that includes Long Island Sound. Are you kidding me...the Sound??? This is a HUGE body of water. Who is the person who complained and started this action? If there was a boat that was too loud for someone, all they have to do is wait a minute or two and it's gone. It's like putting a noise restriction on the Atlantic Ocean...gimme a break However, some idiot passes a law that restricts boat noise, but on the way home they can get their head blown off by a bike 6 feet away from them at the red light they're stopped at. It make absolutely no sense to me. I do no advocate noise restrictions for bikes or boats, although the bike thing gets old after a while. The bike is gone in a few seconds so what's the big deal? Just because somebody complains, doesn't mean these idiots we ELECT need to do anything about it...sheesh.

Quick Reply: Noise Boats vs Bikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.