Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat vs. V (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109990-cat-vs-v.html)

onesickpantera 08-15-2005 09:43 PM

Re: Cat vs. V

I always thought that a cat in the 25-30' range would be much better in the 2-3' slop but a V would be better in the 3-6' rollers? I just can't see a cat(of that size) flying and "slicing" through the next big wave when you're in the rollers. Am I wrong?

mr_velocity 08-15-2005 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer
how well would a cat turn in 4-6 steep high frequency lake erie waves?

like when your perpendicular to them and get cought in the trough

Get in the trough and run like hell. :D I'd take a cat over a V any day of the week.

chuckels 08-15-2005 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by noboat
I always thought that a cat in the 25-30' range would be much better in the 2-3' slop but a V would be better in the 3-6' rollers? I just can't see a cat(of that size) flying and "slicing" through the next big wave when you're in the rollers. Am I wrong?

75% of the guys i boat with have a v in the 25 to 30 ft range , and none can keep up with me in my 26 ft cat in any conditions

gsmith9898 08-16-2005 06:52 AM

I don't think you can compare the ride in a cat versus a v in ruff water. The cat don't start coming alive till you have a little head wind and a 2 foot chop. Than it is hang on and enjoy the ride!

Neverfastenuf 08-16-2005 09:23 AM

I have a 300 Eliminator Eagle and a friend has\had a 30 Daytona. We ran many times at Lake Powell. The only time the V excelled was when we were in 4'-5'+ wind induced rollers. The V would "slice" through. No way to get that cat "on top" of that water. I am not saying all cats perform this way, this is just what we found with Eliminators boats.

BTW, the cat was 30mph faster.

Sam

wrinkleface 08-16-2005 09:34 AM

Hey you BHF, you sure that you want to grab a kitty by the tail?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evilb: George

Stormrider 08-16-2005 09:49 AM

I've never been in a cat, and thought about going to the dark side.
But to make this decision, I'd like a few rides in a cat before seriously considering it. Also, as usual, insurance is a factor.

onesickpantera 08-16-2005 10:20 AM

Stormrider I've thought about it as well. I've never ridden in one but I've been passed by plenty out in the slop! But the insurance is a good point. Is the insurance through the roof for the smaller cats as well? How does the insurance compare between a 25-30 cat and a 25-30 V?

Neverfastenuf, that's kind of what I was thinking. I was having a tough time picturing a 26' cat "slicing" through some 4' rollers. Not that I really care I was just curious. Most of my boating is done in a washing machine where a cat would be awesome!

Tantrum 08-16-2005 11:40 AM

I just moved to the dark side this year and I will never be back :evilb:
Im not going to debate the size of the water because it is very subjective. What I will say is that we ran the NYC Poker Run and the 1000 Islands Poker Run and where never under 90mph in either.
However in BIG water Id rather be in a someone else's V at 60mph because I don’t want to beat my boat like that to prove…..well nothing. I feel for the conditions that I run my cat outperforms my V hands down.

As far as the insurance.
It comes down to weather or not you want to go fast. Fast to me is 100+. I did a little math before I bought my cat because people kept saying Oooh the insurance……
Well heres my thoughts, next Poker Run your at go up to the 100+ MPH boats and ask a few questions. First, how much do they pay for insurance? Second, how much did they pay for their boat? Third, and the big one, how much do they spend to maintain and repair BIG horsepower and drives?
Dollar for dollar you will not come even close to comparing the two. A 30 foot cat wins every time…. Comparing a 30 foot Cat and V is like comparing a cruiser and a sailboat, its not the same game.

If you would like, send me a PM with your number and Id be happy to BS with you about what Ive found.

Steve_H 08-16-2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tantrum
I just moved to the dark side this year and I will never be back :evilb:
Im not going to debate the size of the water because it is very subjective. What I will say is that we ran the NYC Poker Run and the 1000 Islands Poker Run and where never under 90mph in either.
However in BIG water Id rather be in a someone else's V at 60mph because I don’t want to beat my boat like that to prove…..well nothing. I feel for the conditions that I run my cat outperforms my V hands down.

As far as the insurance.
It comes down to weather or not you want to go fast. Fast to me is 100+. I did a little math before I bought my cat because people kept saying Oooh the insurance……
Well heres my thoughts, next Poker Run your at go up to the 100+ MPH boats and ask a few questions. First, how much do they pay for insurance? Second, how much did they pay for their boat? Third, and the big one, how much do they spend to maintain and repair BIG horsepower and drives?
Dollar for dollar you will not come even close to comparing the two. A 30 foot cat wins every time…. Comparing a 30 foot Cat and V is like comparing a cruiser and a sailboat, its not the same game.

If you would like, send me a PM with your number and Id be happy to BS with you about what Ive found.

Tantrum, could you go into more detail about the cost.
on this thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...58#post1426758