NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's >

NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's

Notices

NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's

Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 362 Likes on 207 Posts
Default NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's

Finally getting ready to graduate with a mechanical engineering degree and looking to relocate. Trying to find an area that offers great boating, a Job, and a Hour or so commute to the city by train. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get some ideas so i can visit these areas and try job hunting.

Hope to see ya all at the NYC boat show

Jack Jr.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's

Congrats on graduating!!

If you don't want to live in NYC, but want to remain close enough to party & work, many many recent grads rent apartments in Hoboken, NJ. It's a mere 10-15 Path ride under the Hudson River and you're there. If I'm not mistaken, Hoboken has the most bars on record per square mile...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hoboken could be fun, but great boating? I guess if you leave the boat at liberty landing.
To have the most fun, you'd want to live in manhattan, and have a share in Fire Island.
Do you have a boat? How much boating do you plan on doing?
I live in port washington, LI, which has the best train line into the city and is right on the water. But I cant see it being much fun for a single guy and it ain't cheap.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the degree, not an easy one to get. I got half of mine before I had to bail out for personal reasons. I take it you definately want to work in the city? There are a bunch of places you could live, but anywhere an hour from the city is going to be heavily populated. Hoboken is a good idea, I have a bunch of friends that live there and love it, although none that own powerboats. It all depends on how you want to live. Long Island is nice, the beach is close and there is lots of good boating on both sides, depending on where you are on the island. My girlfriend lives there and I like it a lot. As far as Connecticut, there are a bunch of places within an hour of the city. Some pretty ghetto areas, but some very nice areas as well. Basically the best boating in CT is in Long Island Sound, it is such an aswome place for a powerboat. It all depends what you are looking for. Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies so far. As far as being single, my girlfriend and I will be moving in together. We both want to live out of the city. She works in the city and doesnt mind a hour or so commute on the LIRR. For my job, i think i will have better luck finding one outside of the city. we both agree that Hoboken is to close to the city. we are trying to find that "suburbia" kind of an area. We traveled out to Freeport and loved that area.

Wheres the better boatting the north LI coast, south LI coast, Or Jersy
Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that depends on what kind of boating you prefer. I love the sound (North Coast) because sometimes it can be smooth as glass and other times it can kick your A$$, and I didn't mean for that to ryhme, but I like how the conditions can be SO different from day to day, you never get bored. My girlfriend lives in Massapequa, the next stop on the train past freeport, and I like that area also. If you end up in that area let me know, I bring my boat down there quite a bit, and hopefully I'll have a new one by then.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long Island is also a great location and voted in the TOP 10 places to boat in the US form POWERBOAT MAGAZINE. Great school systems and is close to everything NYC, CT and NJ. Real estate is pricey but but is usually ranked 1 or 2 in the country for appreciation on your investment.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:50 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You should find a job 1st... then move close to it.
LI is a great place to live...surrounded by water.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotime34
I would say that depends on what kind of boating you prefer. I love the sound (North Coast) because sometimes it can be smooth as glass and other times it can kick your A$$, and I didn't mean for that to ryhme, but I like how the conditions can be SO different from day to day, you never get bored. My girlfriend lives in Massapequa, the next stop on the train past freeport, and I like that area also. If you end up in that area let me know, I bring my boat down there quite a bit, and hopefully I'll have a new one by then.

I definately like the rough, Glass water seems boring to us on our boat. But Since its my dad's and my boat, He pays the bills and I keep it maintained and running, you wont see it on the sound till i buy it from him. So, I guess, the flatwater will work for my first solo boat, A Zodiac.
Jr.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
You should find a job 1st... then move close to it.
LI is a great place to live...surrounded by water.

I definately agree, GOTTA FIND THE JOB FIRST. But, I was curious were some of the good boating areas are.

Quick Reply: NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.