at what price do you stop boating >

at what price do you stop boating

Notices

at what price do you stop boating

Old 08-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Steve_H

Default Re: at what price do you stop boating

Originally Posted by Tantrum
The stock efi outboard (3liter) seems to burn more fuel than a stock efi big block (8 liter)......also consider oil....Im paying $150 for 2.5 gallons and it goes fast Im burning 30-32 GPH at WOT according to my smartcraft gauges (per side)So as far as fuel goes Id have to put it on a spread sheet which I really dont even want to know

If you want to go fast......than I think the outboard cat IS the way to go. To go 100+ mph in a 30+ V bottom you are going to need around 800+ HP (per side) to move it. To maintain motors and drives in that horse power range is going to cost you alot more than maintaining stock outboard power and pay the insurance.
but, you sure can cover a lot of miles at 32 gph compared to the big block guys!

Old 08-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_H
but, you sure can cover a lot of miles at 32 gph compared to the big block guys!
That is very true, we've talked about that a couple of times. The mile per gallon number should win if I stopped going in circles.
You also look at your boating area alot differently when your buzzing around at 100. I used to think barnaget bay was big.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant give up the relaxation
Old 08-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

interesting thoughts out there!!!

80 hrs per yr at 80 gal per hr averaged out,, oh chit i shouldnt do this,
80x80 6400gals x 3 = 19,200.00 hmm i am sure glad i did this excercise,
at 5.0 per gal would be 32000- per yr,, now its getting stupid money,, 5 k insurance average maint repair per yr 10k 50k per yr to drive the boat,,
why did u guys start this thread??
do i park the fountain to drive the
Big rubber 18 foot boat? ?
even if i take the 13 footer out and do what these guys did its still cheaper..

doh
Attached Thumbnails at what price do you stop boating-scope-2004-0154-800-small-.jpg   at what price do you stop boating-image006.jpg   at what price do you stop boating-flip-01.jpg  

Last edited by Jonas; 08-16-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

Gas is still cheaper than your run of the mill designer bottled water.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Registered

yeah but u cant drink 80 gal per hr..
Old 08-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

I went from a 24ft Excalibur, 454 (which is for sale...any takers?), to a 30 ft Scarab..twin 502s. Sure the bigger boat uses more gas, but I knew that going in. I didnt expect gas prices to go nuts like they have, so I cruise @ 3500 RPM, with short bursts at WOT. Truth be known, Im extending my engine life in the process. Hope to see all of you on the water!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Registered

well can always go to house in mex, use less than a cup o diesel to get out and in,,
doh u guys hate blow boaters but i like all boats rubber sail go fast cruiser etc
Attached Thumbnails at what price do you stop boating-image001.jpg  
Old 08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
Gas is 7.00$ a gallon over in UK. whats the big deal. 2.79$ on the water at LOTO. It may affect boating if it got over 5.00$/gallon, but most guys with big boats and horsepower have the cash anyway. Are you going to start walking to, gas goes in cars as well. Its worth the extra few bucks for the stress relief of working your ass off 70 hours a week just to have a nice boat. Enjoy it and if it really is that tight a pinch, everyone here has good ideas, just tie up and have a ice cold Bud.

Exactly, most of the time I work six days a week so when I have free time in Michigan's short summers I like to use my boat the price of gas isn't going to keep me from boating.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered

Hey Don, thats what I did....Zodiac with 115 Yamaha EFI 4 stroke. I could get 10mpg but see 7 with my driving. I went to GH and back on $25....the AT would have cost over 150. I have to be out there so I just changed boats. Now I don't sweat it, I am out there and I don't have to ask for gas money anymore. I just can't stop boating, I have done it for 42 years and there is nothing like it....in the summer. Now the sled gets 15mpg so that is no sweat either.

Quick Reply: at what price do you stop boating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.