Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   at what price do you stop boating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110232-what-price-do-you-stop-boating.html)

Havasu Cig 08-16-2005 05:37 PM

Re: at what price do you stop boating

Originally Posted by saubouin
Gas is still cheaper than your run of the mill designer bottled water.

Or your Venti Mocha from Starbucks...

I had a guy come into my station one day complaining about gas prices holding a starbucks coffee and I told him I would feel sorry for him when he stopped spending 5 bucks for a cup of coffee (what's the profit margin on that?) :rolleyes: :D

offshoredrillin 08-16-2005 06:18 PM

Gas went up??? :eek: when where was I?? I find it amazing that people pay 2.99 for a can of Red bull, that is 12 oz, and mix it with a shot of Jaeger that they pay 5.00 for and have the nerve to complain about gas. mixed drinks at most resturants are 4-5 bucks, for about 25-50 cents worth of product. A bottle of Aquafina 20 oz is 1.69. So theoritically you are paying more for alcohol and water(which by the way is FREE) by volume than you are gas...build a bridge and get over it...:D

KAAMA 08-16-2005 06:20 PM

No matter how high the gas prices are...... It is still so true what Merc said in one of their advertising captions;----"THE WATER CALLS..."

Sean H 08-16-2005 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Gas went up??? :eek: when where was I?? I find it amazing that people pay 2.99 for a can of Red bull, that is 12 oz, and mix it with a shot of Jaeger that they pay 5.00 for and have the nerve to complain about gas. mixed drinks at most resturants are 4-5 bucks, for about 25-50 cents worth of product. A bottle of Aquafina 20 oz is 1.69. So theoritically you are paying more for alcohol and water(which by the way is FREE) by volume than you are gas...build a bridge and get over it...:D

i want to drink where you do.... mixed drinks are only 4-5 bucks? :drink: :drink:

CPPerformance 08-16-2005 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New Fuel Gauge...Now available in a variety of $$ increments.

Sean H 08-16-2005 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
New Fuel Gauge...Now available in a variety of $$ increments.

what are those for 15 gallon tanks? :D :drink:

The Menace 08-16-2005 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't smoke or drink. Boating is the only vice I have. Where is the closet gas dock that has 94?

Formula Outlaw 08-16-2005 07:47 PM

Yeah, it's effected my driving habits period. I run about a buck fifty a week through my truck so I've slowed down on the Interstate from 90 mph to 80 mph. :rolleyes:

The one thing I have done is given up the idea of repowering Outlaw with 650 HP motors. I'd rather cruise at 55 mph and be able to afford it than just talk about a boat that will cruise at 75 and have it sit on the trailer more than it already does.

Mentalpause 08-16-2005 07:54 PM

I can anchor up in a cove with some friends and it costs me the same amount as sitting here at the computer reading about the price of gas.

I know which one I'd rather be doing. :D

articfriends 08-16-2005 07:56 PM

Mi summers are short other, i couldn't afford to run my boat year round. Its not just boating though,i never budget for gas i just pay for it even if i have to use my credit card and pay it during the off season. Last year i had just over 10,000$ dollars in gas receipts when i went to do my taxes between my truck,boat,snowmobile and wifes car,i had another 5000$ in home and shop heating and electric cost. As oil goes up it affects everyones utilitys even if you don't heat with oil. Our natural gas has already doubled in past 3 years. Last weekend i spent 520$ to go boating between the truck and boat and we didn't go super far or run the boat that much. I only make around 100,000 $ a year between my job and my business,i work 16 hours a day so there is really no easy way to increase my income any higher,i used to say gas was the cheapest part of running my boat but eventually everyone but the rich have a breaking point. At 5$ a gallon snowmobiling and boating will quickly start to lose their allure to me as it would use 30% of my annual income. These hobbys are fun but if you reach the point where you could no longer fund your retirement and you have to lower your standard of living drastically then many of us will have to sverely limit our boating activitys. I wouldn't give it up completely,i'd probably spend alot more time on the local river running out to the bay a short distance and standing around on a sandbar but long road trips and big weekends in northern mi would be hard to swallow at 1000$ plus a pop,Smitty
OR my wife could get off her ass and find a JOB!!!!