Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   at what price do you stop boating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110232-what-price-do-you-stop-boating.html)

Chris288 08-17-2005 07:09 AM

Re: at what price do you stop boating

Originally Posted by Dave M
Those numbers sound high to me. It must depend a lot on the hull. I average 11 GPH, mostly cruising around 3500 rpms. At 3500 I'm going around 55 MPH.

Believe it or not, my boats gets around 5 MPG. I was planning to upgrade but I don't think that plan is on hold.

Dave, I saw your #'s in another post and your doing phenominal...

Merc's general rule of thumb is H.P. / 12 = gph @ 80% throttle. which in my case works out to 425 / 12 = 35 @ 4,000 and thats about exactly where i'm at... WOT is 5,000 and im guestimating aroung 45 gph.. which seems about right for my 288.. I don't have a flow scan but at 3,800 I have heard my hull gets approx. 2.5 mpg.

Dave M 08-17-2005 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chris288
Dave, I saw your #'s in another post and your doing phenominal...

Merc's general rule of thumb is H.P. / 12 = gph @ 80% throttle. which in my case works out to 425 / 12 = 35 @ 4,000 and thats about exactly where i'm at... WOT is 5,000 and im guestimating aroung 45 gph.. which seems about right for my 288.. I don't have a flow scan but at 3,800 I have heard my hull gets approx. 2.5 mpg.

I wonder if they come up with those numbers with the engine running on a stand. In real world use, there must be more variables. Hull weight, efficiency, prop pitch.

I arrive at my #'s by dividing the gallons when I fill up by the hours on my hour meter since last fill. Of course it is a mixture of idle, cruise, and WOT. I think this method is pretty accurate. I look at my hour meter when I get to the gas station and can usually guess within a few gallons how much it will take.

articfriends 08-17-2005 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
To the guy who said that he "only makes $100,000 a year."

WTF??????? ONLY????

Hey... on a lighter note... what about Boat pooling?

I go out lots of times by myself. Maybe if we started getting/giving rides to each other it would spread out the pain a little.

I think you skipped over the part in my post about working 16 hours a day,8 at my job and 8 more minimum at my business,Smitty

Fast Forward 08-17-2005 09:14 AM

For the average boater I can see the larger single engines becoming very popular. I remember when gas hit $1.00 and everyone was saying the same thing. When it hit $1.50 a gallon it seemed everyones driving habits changed. No more runs, just to run. More like hit the open water and find a place on the beach to hang out. We run a 26' with a single and at 2.75 a gallon won't have much affect on me and my family.

madbouyz 08-17-2005 10:29 AM

Today's price .. $ 6.10 .. That's US $ and US gallon.

Still , more boats than ever out every good weekend .... Yeah , I know , not too many like the boats on this board but still it don't get much worse than $6 and change a gallon .

You've got a LONG way to go yet ...

At what price ? I don't think you ever stop ....
cut back a little ? At that price you have to !

spk1 08-17-2005 12:27 PM

Im thinking about doing an engine swap, 454's for a 4 electric trolling motors across the back. Trick is getting my gaffrig shifters wired up to them.

CBR 08-17-2005 12:56 PM

Volvo exec on CNBC today says oil production will peak in 15 to 20 years, and they expect oil prices could be $200 a barrel then!!!!!!!!!!!!

MitchStellin 08-17-2005 02:52 PM

$1600!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap, that would set me on fire!!!!! I can speak for all here that that would limit boating to only the filthy rich....or those with egg beaters under 150hp. I bet it happens, just think where the prices will be for those across the pond?????!!!!! There will be an altrnative some day and when it happens I will be happy to run them over with my electric hybrid. :D I say if we are going to all be rafting why not buy a pontoon boat....may as well have room for the grill :D

Mentalpause 08-17-2005 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
I say if we are going to all be rafting why not buy a pontoon boat....may as well have room for the grill :D

I thought of that. It wouldn't be all bad.

fund razor 08-18-2005 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
I think you skipped over the part in my post about working 16 hours a day,8 at my job and 8 more minimum at my business,Smitty

Job hog. All these unemployed people and you have the gall to double dip? :D :D