Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Fountain advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110270-need-fountain-advice.html)

lsandberg 08-16-2005 05:30 PM

Need Fountain advice

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1993 42' Fountain Lightning Signature Series for a very reasonable price locally. The boat has triple 525 supercharged engines and the overall boat seems to be in good shape. I have been in the market for some time now for a 38' Lightning with twin engines and that was all the bigger I wanted to go. However this boat just popped up locally for a good price but I'm not sure what I'm getting into w/ the tripple engines and 42' long. Is there a big difference in handling with the bigger boat, and are there more complications w/ tripples like more maintenance and gas consumption to make the bigger boat worth it? I am a weekend pleasure boater and I am making a jump to an offshore powerboat. Just not sure if the 42 is worth the trouble or if I should just keep looking for that mid 1990's twin engine 38, but that 42 sure looks awesome! I'm looking for something I can stay overnight on comfortably with two people but also run in upper 70's to 80's.
Thanks for any comments.

US1 Fountain 08-16-2005 05:37 PM

Re: Need Fountain advice

A buddy has a newer 42' (97-98??)with trip 525's. Awesome boat, runs right at 93mph. But it loves the fuel. The extra engine will cause it to sit lower in the rear a little. Great ride.

customryder 08-16-2005 08:27 PM

i personally would stay with twins... the third engine is hard to justify for what you gain. not alot of difference in a 38 to 42. just my 02cents

Mac 08-16-2005 08:48 PM

I have owned a couple triples, everything you do TIMES 3, I would stick with the twins

tomtbone1993 08-16-2005 08:55 PM

i own a triple 42 with 540's its a very nice ride

blume 08-18-2005 12:37 PM

i was a fountain dealer for years, you need to tell all the facts about this boat. I know most of the people that responded to you.and I know the boat you are referring to, it shows like new and the motors are rebuilt with low hours, loaded racefairing, white dash red bezels and good paint job. and can be bought for less than 85,000.00. triples are no more trouble than twins, just add 1. The boat runs very good, has good balance and looks like a new 250,000.00 new one for less than 85k. now let them responed again.

1stfntn 08-18-2005 01:45 PM

Just bought a 2000 38' this year. I have heard from several other Fountain owners that in the new models the 42' is supposed to be a more balanced hull than the 38', especially if you plan to add big power; however, I love my 38'. Don't think I would step up to a 42' unless it was brand new in order to get the sliding cabin door, bigger stepped hull and warranty. Never had trips myself, but a couple friends had them in the past and now prefer twins due to the 3X maintenance factor and resale (I think centered around trips being more difficult in realtion to insurance and financing, but not sure). However, I bet the midrange punch on a trip 42' is awesome. Doubt you can go wrong on what sounds like such a clean used boat, especially at that price point. Again, just my $.02.

hpoffshore 08-19-2005 09:37 AM

The triple 42 is a great ride.....sold/driven several over the years, and the 525SC package is really easy-going, maintainence wise. The often overlooked advantages of a trip setup in this hull are the low cruise RPM's, ability to stay on plane at surprisingly low speeds, and return-to-port capability on-plane w/2 out of 3 engines/drives. The 38 Fever does have a bigger cockpit, though.
Hugh/Offshore

Audiofn 08-19-2005 10:11 AM

I would imagine less drive maintnence with the tripple then a dual, but that is just a guess......

Jon

Downtown42 08-19-2005 10:51 AM

That's not a bad deal if she cks out. Depends how fast you want to go. That boat will do lo 90's.