Notices

Rough water driving

Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rough water driving

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
That is a good question... I have had offshore boats for about 6 years, but only recently have I been going fast in bigger water. When the boat launches, I yank the throttles back, and I notice when I hit that the boat drags right before I throttle up again. Am I pulling it back too far, and will I hurt anything more than the speed (which in that kind of water I am not that concerned about)?

I don't think we have ever had a thread on the finer points of throttling on OSO.
Only pull back a 1/4 of the way. If your not making power upon re-entry, you could help to plow or stuff the bow.

If you are running at 5000rpms, you only want to pull back enough to keep the engines spinning at 5K with no load on the props. As soon as it touches the water, get back on the gas.

Once you start to run across the tops of the waves, it's a whole different ball game. Done right, it's quite a dance. Done wrong and it gets scary. Don't do it with passengers in the back seat, put on your kill switch lanyard and a life jacket. Those are racing speeds. Oh and don't turn the wheel. Just go straight and enjoy the ride. Also remember, level flight is what your after. If the nose lifts, you need to tuck in the drives or drop the tabs a bit.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Ron P. going to the shootout?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron P, You hit all the important points in one post!
Most guys I know that are great on the sticks, learned to run at night. Something to be said for throttleing by feal.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

Hey thanks for all the pointers....I guess all I need to do know is twist off work for a few days and take off...lanyard in one hand, gas card in the other!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last trick in a Hammer... Sit on one leg in rough water. Sounds stupid, but in sitdown boats in bad water, this will keep you from hurting your back. Best of luck, and dont forget that lanyard.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Registered

Good thread! I never really remember hearing(reading) about the finer points on throttling either XRated30 Gonna go practice tomorrow

JeffBall you sound like you're well on your way ... to your next boat that is! LOL Have fun bro and welcome to OSO
Old 08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
Ron P. going to the shootout?
I'm not but maybe someone else from Extreme Boats Magazine will be there but I sort of doubt it. We went last year and were asked to stop handing out magazine and more........... It's sponsored by Powerboat Mag so we need to give them some space.

I'll miss seeing Callan go after 230 mph. I'll take to Dave after the run and get the poop.

Last edited by Ron P; 08-17-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
I'm not but maybe someone else from Extreme Boats Magazine will be there but I sort of doubt it. We went last year and were asked to stop handing out magazine and more........... It's sponsored by Powerboat Mag so we need to give them some space.

I'll miss seeing Callan go after 230 mph. I'll take to Dave after the run and get the poop.
Wow! You would think the more coverage the event has the better for the event. Too bad.
Dan
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Registered

Yeah kind of odd, someone must have a connection there. Well maybe just come undercover, send me a bunch of mags and I will distribute them I was told to ask I am having the guys down from the F-1 team of Mutual Fun$$$ Racing and they said they knew you. Maybe another time.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

One last point. It's all about keeping the boat/props in the water. If you want to go fast, the boat must stay level and in contact with the water as much as possibly. If you fly, you loose. In racing, flying isn't cool. If you are not level in flight and land stern first it can cause a stuff or at least slow you down a lot.

Also, you want the boat to remain level side to side. You want to make 1/4 turns on the wheel in the opposite direction of the lean. As your going straight the boat might chine walk a bit or just go back and forth with the waves. Counter steer, so if it leans right, turn a 1/4 turn left to bring it back to level. That's why it takes two people to run a race boat. It's too much for one person to do at speed properly.

Quick Reply: Rough water driving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.