Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rough water driving (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110365-rough-water-driving.html)

jeffball 08-17-2005 02:44 PM

Rough water driving

Hey I'm new to OSO and new to powerboating. I'm 24 and just picked up a 1998 Baja Hammer, 454 Bravo 1 with tabs. I know that the Hammer is more of a lake boat, but a real O/S machine is not in my budget YET. My question is what kind of chop and at what speeds can I safely run my boat. (Damage is a concern, beating myself up with a 20deg. deadrise thumping is not :) )

Thanks for any tips....

CigDaze 08-17-2005 03:58 PM

Re: Rough water driving

Welcome to the board, Jeff! :cool:
That was my first boat, too. It's quite a tough little boat, I beat the crap out of it running it in Tampa Bay. It will handle most choppy waters up until about 2 feet or so, after that it can become a handful. Also, because of it's shallow bottom, it does not like quartering seas at all, it always felt like it wanted to "surf" the waves rather than get over it. It's a quick, fun ride. Enjoy it.

East Coast B 08-17-2005 04:21 PM

Welcome aboard!!! Pretty much, usually the boat will tell you when enough is enough..... Things rattling loose, popping out, stress cracks, etc.... it's a matter of how much pounding you mind and how much time and money you want to put back into fixing things.... you'll get a feel for what your and the boats comfort level is... Where do you boat and what length is the hammer? Surprised by the 20 degree deadrise on a sport boat... definitely will increase the pounding factor..... Good Luck!!!!

jeffball 08-17-2005 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, The boat is a 22' and is used mostly in the San juan Islands (pacific northwest) with a few runs across the border into BC's gulf islands (worth the trip!)

I find that regardless of how the boat is trimmed, it starts to get really sketchy in any kind of chop over the low 60mph range and up. (Keeping in mind that I'm new at this and sketchy to me may not be to more seasoned drivers:))

Payton 08-17-2005 07:26 PM

Just remeber to back off of the thottles if you become air born. You don't want your engine to rev as you leave the water and your prop spinning too fast as you re-enter. Your Bravo drive won't live very long with that type or use. Ideally, you back off just enough so there is no RPM change as you launch, then get back on the thottle as you re-enter.

X-Rated30 08-17-2005 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Payton
Ideally, you back off just enough so there is no RPM change as you launch, then get back on the thottle as you re-enter.

That is a good question... I have had offshore boats for about 6 years, but only recently have I been going fast in bigger water. When the boat launches, I yank the throttles back, and I notice when I hit that the boat drags right before I throttle up again. Am I pulling it back too far, and will I hurt anything more than the speed (which in that kind of water I am not that concerned about)? :confused:

I don't think we have ever had a thread on the finer points of throttling on OSO. :rolleyes:

mwdill 08-17-2005 07:56 PM

the hammer is a fun boat , at 60 plus it does get a little hairy in rough water, about 45 is where it really likes to ride in the rough, just keep playing with the trim and you will find the sweet spot :drink:

onesickpantera 08-17-2005 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
That is a good question... I have had offshore boats for about 6 years, but only recently have I been going fast in bigger water. When the boat launches, I yank the throttles back, and I notice when I hit that the boat drags right before I throttle up again. Am I pulling it back too far, and will I hurt anything more than the speed (which in that kind of water I am not that concerned about)? :confused:

I don't think we have ever had a thread on the finer points of throttling on OSO. :rolleyes:

Pulling back too far also stresses the drive. You want to be spinning the prop equal to your current speed. But not always easy to do! :D

hugetime1 08-17-2005 09:49 PM

i say just strap on a set, and hammer down.

BOSS245 08-17-2005 09:58 PM

Congrats on the new boat. Those Hammers are a blast to drive and a handful when it gets rough! I'd suggest get used to using the tabs. I had a 22' Baja, although not the same model. It was about the same wight, though...3400-3500 lbs. It responded very well to the tabs. If you have indicators, it will take a lot of the guess work out of their exact position. Good luck.

Jack