Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boating Accident on L.I. last night.. >

Boating Accident on L.I. last night..

Notices

Boating Accident on L.I. last night..

Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boating Accident on L.I. last night..

Originally Posted by dockrocker
This is why I simply don't boat at night - not worth the risk. It's hard enough avoiding the idiots and other amateur-hour "boaters" during the day when you can see them, let alone in the dark.

Very, very sad story.
My friends think I'm a weenie 'cause I don't like to go out at night. Glad to hear somebody else feels the way I do,
Old 08-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Very sad indeed,right in our backyard,gotta be carefull out there,we were out in copiaque with the screamandflyers and went home before dark!!! tripps
Old 08-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local news just reported the guy driving the Grady White blood alcohol levels were tested and returned 0 zero ... he was released without bail.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My last boat was a 42' Carver Aft Cabin - a big tall boat. I did not like driving at night, even though I had many many thousands in my RADAR system, a 9kw genset, and all my cabin lights on, including the flourescent 110v behind the curtains. The idiots still came way to close. And of course there' s the always-present cheap ass blowboater with no lights on, and exercising their "right-of-way", "racing with the wind" to the next port.
Certainly won't be running Plain Vanilla at night.

Too bad for the girl and her family. Hope they can work through it.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Awful news!! Heart goes out to the family
Old 08-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Registered

I do a lot of night boating at night on Long Island sound (25 years worth), and I always take it a little slower. What drives me nuts is the guys fishing by the entrance to Manhasset bay, or Hempstead Harbor who shut all their lights off, and only decide to put one on when you're right on top of them. Last night around 9pm, I ran into a bunch of sail boats near little neck bay doing their little manuvers. They were all over the place, and you could barely see them! On the way back into Manhasset bay at almost 10pm, I got very close to the "Dry Martini" who was coming out with no lights on! Real smart.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

Terrible news.....thoughts and prayers go out for them!

I hate boating at night......very scary......in fact I went out last weekend around 7pm with a few friends that wanted to fish a little and I planned to be back before dark........well I wasn't paying much attention to the sun and it set......next thing I knew it was dark very quickly and I was a good 30 minutes from port. So we packed it up and started to head back.....all might lights cut out..........I about sheit myself.........something happened and the circuit breaker cut out........I had everylight and all the accessories running at the time so it must have been too much but none the less I was sitting in the middle of the lake with no lights nothing.....now I was really scared.......I immediately started to look all around for any immediate incoming boats.....thankfully none were in vision......I reset the circuit breaker and thank god everything lit back up......but it was a definite scare......after that I'm really second guessing going out at night again.........not fun in my eyes!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

Angry Re: Boating Accident on L.I. last night..

August 19, 2005 -- The allegedly drunken driver of a speeding boat that killed a Long Island girl was sprung without bail yesterday after blood tests found no alcohol in his system — four hours after the accident, officials said.
Cops still slapped Steven Fleischer, an air-traffic controller, with a misdemeanor charge of boating while intoxicated.

Police said Fleischer, 33, reeked of alcohol Wednesday night after his out-of-control boat wiped out the craft carrying tragic 11-year-old Brianna Lieneck and her mom and dad, Gina and Frank, who were critically injured.

But he refused to take a Breathalyzer and couldn't be tested until police got a warrant, they said.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/51423.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-289202c.html

Last edited by Tabasco Cat; 08-19-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats Bullchit!!! He will live with this the rest of his miserable, pond scum life!!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered

These stories suck!!!
Our thoughts and prayers are there for these families in there time of need...

Quick Reply: Boating Accident on L.I. last night..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.