Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110453-boaters-feeling-pinch-high-gasoline-prices.html)

Milord 08-19-2005 08:36 AM

Re: Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

I just read an article that said the people in Iraq are paying $0.05 / gallon for gas. :mad:

BDiggity 08-19-2005 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Milord
I just read an article that said the people in Iraq are paying $0.05 / gallon for gas. :mad:

Hmm, at $0.05/G, it only costs them about $1 to fill the tank up & go blow some people up. Pretty economical....

This may be a dumb question, if everyone says its because we do not have enough refineries, it there a law or an act preventing new refineries being built? I figure if u built one in this day & age, it would probably be more advanced, leading to better efficiencies & less pollutants.

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Indy
It doesn't matter how much they pump out of the ground, if it can't be refined, it's worthless, our refineries are at max capacity now.

How come the idiots on Wall street never get a part of the blame, at the slightest worry, they start trading at higher prices and we pay at the pump :confused:

if you believe in supply and demand controls prices than if refineries were at capacity and producing as fast and all they could than crude oil would be backing up in the harbors because they could not refine it fast enough causing excess oil which would drive price of crude down. that is not happeneing because this admin in the white house is from the oil industry. It is not rocket science. When they leave office and the next crook gets in than the price of oil and gas will come down. Till than , HOLD ON.

BLee 08-19-2005 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Indy
It doesn't matter how much they pump out of the ground, if it can't be refined, it's worthless, our refineries are at max capacity now.

How come the idiots on Wall street never get a part of the blame, at the slightest worry, they start trading at higher prices and we pay at the pump :confused:

I normally don't add to these discussions because no one seems to want to know the real answers. I will say that every once in awhile one of you guys are on the right track, and this time it's Indy.

Anyone that thinks Bush has anything to do with how much OPEC decides to raise or lower Oil Production needs to do alot more homework. John Kerry couldn't have told the Arabs what to do and neither can the Bush administration. The only difference is that the Saudi's won't laugh in Bush's face like they would Kerry's. :D

LIOPA 08-19-2005 09:51 AM

WTF.......If thats true ....we need to end the war or win it!

In with the NUKES out with the FREE OIL :D

Although I do think BUSH and his OIL BUDDIES are making one final pocket filling run before he exits the GRAND STAGE :mad:

gsmith9898 08-19-2005 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=TwinStepGun]I normally don't add to these discussions because no one seems to want to know the real answers. I will say that every once in awhile one of you guys are on the right track, and this time it's Indy.

Anyone that thinks Bush has anything to do with how much OPEC decides to raise or lower Oil Production needs to do alot more homework. John Kerry couldn't have told the Arabs what to do and neither can the Bush administration. The only difference is that the Saudi's won't laugh in Bush's face like they would Kerry's. :D[/QUO oil is at $66 a barrell. I don't think the saudis are looking at the front of the americans faces. I think it is more of the back of head while they stick it in our a-- !!!

Milord 08-19-2005 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
I normally don't add to these discussions because no one seems to want to know the real answers. I will say that every once in awhile one of you guys are on the right track, and this time it's Indy.

Anyone that thinks Bush has anything to do with how much OPEC decides to raise or lower Oil Production needs to do alot more homework. John Kerry couldn't have told the Arabs what to do and neither can the Bush administration. The only difference is that the Saudi's won't laugh in Bush's face like they would Kerry's. :D

Brandon, I for one would love to know the truth. What is going on and why and will it end or are crazy gas prices here to stay?

BLee 08-19-2005 10:56 AM

Brandon, I for one would love to know the truth. What is going on and why and will it end or are crazy gas prices here to stay?

Like I said earlier every once in awhile someone gets on the right track. This Larry guy pretty much hit it on the head the other day:

Originally Posted by ljsmith1
The problem boils down to a few fundamental issues:

1. Refining capacity in the US is at 95%. No new refineries built in the last 10 years.

2. Speculation in the market is driving crude prices up artificially. War in Iraq, hurricanes in the Gulf, or other "it might happen" scenarios.

3. Demand is at an all time high - GLOBALLY. China's insatiable appetite for energy, along with the US and Europe are consuming crude faster than it can be pumped out of the ground. Look at Saudi Arabia.....they are at about 90% of capacity.

This issue has very little to do with Bush or any single politician. No matter who's in office, the problem will still get worse. The only real solution is to lessen our demand on oil. Easier said than done....

-Larry

There are a few other issues that involve the trading market that factor in to the prices, but theses points are part of the main cause.

I have no idea when it will end. If a hurricane forms, a terrorist blows up a pipeline, etc...... they will go higher. Oh, and guess what else, Winter is coming. Prices go up when it's cold.

miamioffshore 08-19-2005 11:14 AM

Both sides deserve some of the blame:

-Actually there have been no new refineries built in America since the 70's, the Carter Administrations EPA set the pollution standards so high for any new refineries that it was not economically feasible for anyone to build new. I new refinery has been approved on the Arizone/California border but that will be years before it comes online.

-Clinton gave China the "most favored nation trading status" in the late 90's, this has done wonders for their economy and as a result they are in an ongoing oil chugging contest with India. We need to remove this most favored nation trading status, doing so will slow their economy and oil consumption and as a result improve our own national security.

-True I haven't heard Bush say a damn thing about gas prices and he needs to get out their and use his bully pulpit, why he hasn't I dont know, but I'm pissed.

-About $10 of every barrel of oil is speculation built in by Wall street

- As far as oil companies posting record profits, thats just basic numbers, regardless of what you invest you want a certain % return, thus if oil costs more to buy and refine then you'll still have to charge the same margin because you have goals to meet and you've put down more money to do it. If you lower your profit margins then your shareholders will call for your head and you loose your job, sorry but thats the way it works.

Imagine you were making 10% on your $500 million investment, now to make that same 10% you have to spend $1 Billion because oil has doubled but you're still cranking out the same amount of gas. You'd still want to make that 10% because you've doubled the costs out of your pocket. The bottom line 10% of a billion is twice that of $500 milliion and theres your "record profits" when in fact the profit margin is the same.

As for short term solutions, lets push for a temporary elimination or reduction of fuel taxes, we could afford it if we didn't waste money on so much other Sh*t.

Milord 08-19-2005 11:15 AM

Thanks for the insight. So if the US bombs India and China our prices go back down? :D