Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   High VELOCITY Garbarge - Check out these photos (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110542-high-velocity-garbarge-check-out-these-photos.html)

mr_velocity 08-24-2005 11:55 AM

Re: High VELOCITY Garbarge - Check out these photos

Originally Posted by davids94
What does he mean by "Those Years"??

The company which steve owns has changed names over time. Currently Initial Marine builds Velocity, not Thoroughbred Powerboats as in the mid 90s. In the mid 90s the VIN began with OFT when the shop was Thoroughbred.

This gets interesting, VMX now belongs to Inital Marine, so it is not impossible that Steve built the boat. OFT belings to Thoroughbred Powerboats. VMP also belongs to Velocity, looks to be the latest ones. VMX was issued in 1978 while OFT was issued in 1988. Not sure if Regal built Velocity under the VMX hin or not, looks like maybe based on this

OLD ADDRESS: 521 NE 26 COURTWENT OOB 871124 BACK IN BUS 910618 BY DAVE GUAL. SEE ALSO (OFT) THOROUGHBRED OFFSHORE. (IKE)030988:OOB. 08/08/97 MAIL RETURNED NO FORWARDING ADDRESS. VELOCITY BOUGHT BY REGAL (RGM) IN 1988. 9/14/99 VELOCITY MOVED IN 1993 OR 94 OUT OF DELAND TO SANFORD FL. OLD ADDRESS WAS 1608 NEWPORT AVE DELAND FL 32724. 02/03/2000 VELOCITY POWER BOATS INC SOLD TO INITAL MARINE CORP. THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD UNDER THE NAME VELOCITY POWERBOATS. SEE VMP

From everything I have seen in Steves shop I still doubt that boat rolled out of there and most likely from Regal. I was there in mid 95 and I doubt things could have change that quickly from being that bad to what I saw. The quality of Thoroughbred (Velocity) is not even close to that quality wise and was built in '95....construction began in 95 boat was complete in 96. Could be the boat was built in 93 or early 94 by Regal, one of the last boats rolling out of there. I'm not historian so I don't really know. I do know Steve's beef with Regal had to do with quality of the build. All the HIN information is available on the USCG web site.

Maybe didn't provide answers without knowing for sure if Regal used VMX when they owned Velocity.

Scott 08-24-2005 12:07 PM

VMX

Scott 08-24-2005 12:09 PM

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/m...il.aspx?id=VMX

Panther 08-24-2005 12:52 PM

uh ohhhh.... :eek:

So wait,,,, if I read it correctly it was Regal in 1993 uder VMX....

Panther 08-24-2005 12:56 PM

"VELOCITY MOVED IN 1993 OR 94 OUT OF DELAND TO SANFORD FL" So then to me it looks like it was a Regal, no??

mr_velocity 08-24-2005 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
"VELOCITY MOVED IN 1993 OR 94 OUT OF DELAND TO SANFORD FL" So then to me it looks like it was a Regal, no??

Just not clear, not sure what happened with VMX during those years. Steve also built 2 versions, those with Race layups like mine were Throroughbreds and did not carry the Velocity name. Standard builds were Velocitiy. Not sure if the two carried different HINs. I love the whole Velocity heritage so changed the graphics on my boat from Thoroughbred to Velocity.

Ed 08-24-2005 05:50 PM

During the transition period of Regal buying Velocity back in '87-'88, I would fly back & forth to Regal, to guide them, as to the rigging & materials, etc...to be used in the building of a sportboat. They did'nt have a clue as to the durability needed in building a "Go-Fast". They were trying to use(and did) existing parts from their other, lower quality models going down the production line. I remember looking at their first 30' Regal Velocity in the prototype rig shop, right behind the offices. They had that white spiral 1 1/2" toilet discharge hose clamped to a thru-hull in the engine compartment, with no valve on the thru-hull of any kind. Their intention was to use it for a raw water supply to the Mercruiser engines. Keep in mind, these were Bravo drive packages that did'nt need this source of water in the first place. Ahhh....the memories. Ed

US1 Fountain 08-24-2005 10:57 PM

Good God! And I thought Apache's history was hard to follow. :p

davids94 08-26-2005 10:53 AM

Sure would be nice if someone from Velocity could verify where this boat was made based on the HIN.