Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outboard gurus (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110704-outboard-gurus.html)

THRILLSEEKER 08-22-2005 02:39 PM

Outboard gurus

I dont really know chit about them other than theyre too quiet.

Im looking for a used/ fairly fresh rebuilt 2.4 Merc or similar.

What do I need to look for when buying used, ive noticed a lot of guys seem to post induvidual cylinder compression in their classified ads......what is good compression for theese motors? Can I use a gaffrig style throttle / shifter setup or does it have to be one of those goofy huge control boxes like you find with most outboards? Anything to worry about in the lowers, or are they considered "not a weak link"??? whats the typical lifespan of a powerhead? Anything else I should look for or ask about?

Rocco 08-22-2005 02:48 PM

Re: Outboard gurus

Try posting on "screamandfly.com" on the tech. section. They have some the industries best engine builders on the site. It's the Offshoreonly of outboards. It's a free site to boot

Brad Zastrow 08-22-2005 03:02 PM

They have not made 2.4's for at least 10 years. The compression will depend on the powerhead. Go to www.Screamandfly.com and ask this same question.

dreamboater 08-22-2005 04:08 PM

If you are repowering, you may want to look into 2.5's. The 2.4's were basically grenades. :D :D

frequentflyer 08-22-2005 04:19 PM

Who don't you just get a real motor... PROMAX 300 :D

apache21 08-22-2005 06:57 PM

Are you looking for 2.4 BPs. If so they are good engines. If possible try to stick with 2.5 260 or 280's. BTW what kind of boat is it going on?

fountain1fan 08-22-2005 09:11 PM

go 2.5, the 2.4 are too old and the parts are probably :drink: getting hard to find try jaco marine .

timewarp 08-22-2005 09:18 PM

What kind of boat are you planning on putting it on, the 2.4's + 2.5's are better for a lighter boat and the 3.0's are better for a heavier boat. Scream&Fly is the outboard resource but there are some of us with mixmasters here also. :D :D

Caleb

timewarp 08-22-2005 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
I dont really know chit about them other than theyre too quiet.

Im looking for a used/ fairly fresh rebuilt 2.4 Merc or similar.

What do I need to look for when buying used, ive noticed a lot of guys seem to post induvidual cylinder compression in their classified ads......what is good compression for theese motors?

The compression will vary depending on the type of motor you are looking at, the higher the compression the better your fuel needs to be. The important thing is that there is minimum differences between cylinders

Can I use a gaffrig style throttle / shifter setup or does it have to be one of those goofy huge control boxes like you find with most outboards?
Yes you can use Gaffrig style throttles and shifters.

Anything to worry about in the lowers, or are they considered "not a weak link"???
This depends on what you are using the motor for and what gearcase it has, if you are looking for a high performance motor you would want a sportmaster or torquemaster gearcase depending on how fast the boat you are installing the motor on will go.
whats the typical lifespan of a powerhead?
I think that a powerhead that is well maintained and run with clean oil and fuel should get 1200 hours unless run at very high RPM's all the time.
Anything else I should look for or ask about?

If you can tell us what kind of boat it's going on and what you plan on doing with it we could probably make better suggestions.

Caleb

THRILLSEEKER 08-23-2005 06:25 AM

going on a 16 ft ocean express cat. :eek: I think the factory weight is right around a thousand pounds, it may be slightly heavier when Im done with it, the transom is rotted so I will be replacing it quite a bit srronger than the origonal.

yes im serious. :cool: