Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   mirrage 37? Who made this? Any info? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110741-mirrage-37-who-made-any-info.html)

Ed 11-09-2005 08:35 AM

Re: mirrage 37? Who made this? Any info?

Originally Posted by abolfaz
I think that might have been an undercover boat. It was rerigged at Ft. Apache at the western end of the marina (what was the guys name that worked out of the little shop at the west end of the marina?). It used to have 540's with #3's and it was repowered with 502's and bravos, I remember Mike Briton calling me about getting some parts for that boat.

Was the guy you were trying to think of, working out of the west side of the Apache Marina, at the time, Ron Doller? Ed

Mirage 36 11-09-2005 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by abolfaz
I'll post what I find tomorrow.

Thanks much.

Here's what I know: OEM had twin deisel I/O's, two 128 & two 140 Gal fuel tanks.
I bought it stripped out and transom closed in.
Original colors were black hull, grey deck & had some sort of an arch on it. Customs maybe?

abolfaz 11-10-2005 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mirage 36
Thanks much.

Here's what I know: OEM had twin deisel I/O's, two 128 & two 140 Gal fuel tanks.
I bought it stripped out and transom closed in.
Original colors were black hull, grey deck & had some sort of an arch on it. Customs maybe?

The only diesel 36 we ever built was red with merlins and arnesons. There were only two black hull grey deck boats built in 86 both with 400's and speedmaster 3's, neither one had a cabin liner or cabin just a flat floor and all fuel. The other black hull 36 in 86 was white bottom, black hull sides and white deck and that boat had 400's with TRS with a full cabin. I haven't had a chance to check the books, this is just from memory, but if it had black gellcoat on the hull then it had to be one of those three boats.

Mirage 36 11-10-2005 09:32 PM

This must have been one of those two black hull / grey deck ones. It had no cabin liner and all fuel. I never got to see the engines or drives. The fuel fills are labeled "diesel" so I assumed they were OEM.
You've built an awesome boat. I hope to repower w/trips in the near future.
Thanks for the info.

abolfaz 11-10-2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mirage 36
This must have been one of those two black hull / grey deck ones. It had no cabin liner and all fuel. I never got to see the engines or drives. The fuel fills are labeled "diesel" so I assumed they were OEM.
You've built an awesome boat. I hope to repower w/trips in the near future.
Thanks for the info.

My pleasure. We built several 36's with outboards. One with 4 2.4's (back in 87), one with 4 200 mercs's (also in 87), several with 3 250 Yamahas (they were repowers) and one with 4 250 Yamahas. The merc boats ran in the low 70's (no joke) and the triple yamaha boats ran 61/62, the quad boat ran like sh-t.

I remember your boat, we built two identical boats for the same guy, 400 cyclones with #3 speedmasters. I'll find out why the fuel fills said diesel tomorrow from my foreman. BTW, its not exactly sleek, but what you've built looks great, whats strange is that customs has done the same thing to several old midnights and 39 USA cats.

Mirage 36 11-10-2005 10:07 PM

I agree not exactly sleek but everything is bolt on and nothing original on the exterior has been changed from what was originally done that can't easily be undone. Didn't want to start chopping up for the typical CC config.
Mine's by no means fast at 57 but it gets me there.
Shoot me an email sometime, I'll buy next time I'm down your way :drink:

lightspeed 11-11-2005 07:03 AM

Albolfaz Did You Work For Cortez In Opaloca We Got One Of The Last Boats Out Of There A Black 32

abolfaz 11-11-2005 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by lightspeed
Albolfaz Did You Work For Cortez In Opaloca We Got One Of The Last Boats Out Of There A Black 32

Something like that. What did you do with the black 32? There was the black one left and one blue/white left. In my opinion I think the 32/29 mirage was one of the best running boats ever built. What was suprising is that the only person to ever copy one was Steve Stepp, thats were the 30 velocity came from.

Do you have any pics of the 32?

lightspeed 11-11-2005 09:17 PM

The Black 32 We Got Was named ARMED AND DANGEROUS Twin 750 HP Zuls Ran over 100 I Think JC Performance Has Soom Pics I Will Ask

abolfaz 11-12-2005 11:16 AM

That wasn't one of the last boats in the factory it was built and delivered before we closed. When the shop closed there was one light blue hull/white deck on the floor and a black hull white deck still in the molds. Your 32 was one of the fastest Mirages ever built.