Those Lifting eyes?? Help! >

Those Lifting eyes?? Help!

Notices

Those Lifting eyes?? Help!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Those Lifting eyes?? Help!

looks like a lifting eye to me, not a good one but obviously was put there for that purpose. I wouldn't think if it was a ski eye that it would need all the triangular bracing just to pull skiers. I would contact the factory, (good luck in them helping you) and see if this has a history of happening. At least a sales representative. Is there a Donzie dealer near you, surely they would know if it is supposed to be able to lift the boat or not. Otherwise I would try to use the hooks on the transom.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would guess ski eye as well...

it would seem that if you were lifting straight up on it, it might work, but it appears that you were lifting from a point forward of the eye causing it to bend.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like they mounted that triangle piece upside down. It would have a lot more strength "pushing" on those welds rather than "pulling" them. I'd e-mail those pictures to Donzi and see what they think. I've seen 22's as tenders on megayachts several times so I would imagine they're designed to be lifted
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered

It is a lifting eye, it look just like the one I had on a Z33. This one had two on the stern, I think one is not correct, the boat could rock unless it was perfectly balanced. I say make some new brackets and use some gussets to keep it square. Just what would happen if you tried to enter the boat on the lift? It would tilt and roll and be a mess. Make two or do without.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts

If its a lifting eye then i'd say that bracket is of poor design. First it looks to be made of aluminum.....second i would have put a center bracket/truss or what ever you want to call it to take advantage of the screw mounting area. It will pull the edges up everytime with the way its made due to the triagular shape. I'd have to guess its the original ski/tow eye and the second one was added later cause its easier to thread the rope on that one.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Registered

I think it is a lifting eye but usually the rigging has a "spreader bar" so the pull is only vertical.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Update..........

Removed the old inner lifting plate, it was severly failing, very bent, bolt holes hogged out, cracks. It is made of 1/4" aluminum. Took it to the Donzi dealer and they basically laughed at me because I was using the stock lifting ring (it is a lifting ring by the way, not a ski eye). They never use the lifting ring on a 22, they always use the two other eyes on the transom, never by themselves but with a strap under the hull at the windshield as well. Anyhow, they had no replacement/improved setup/etc. They did not even have the stainless bolts in stock. The same setup works perfectly on the far lighter 16' and 18 foot classics. So off to the fabricator. I am having a new 3/8" stainless steel piece fabricated, thicker, better design, bigger, wider, more bolts, etc, pick it up tomorrow, will post pics. Hopefully a good and fast fix to a surprise fairly major problem for me.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mounting bracket looked like plastic at first. I didn't click on any pic to open it, I went by what I saw, now I see the welds where it was put together.
My ski eye is simliar in construction and is labeled "NOT FOR LIFTING".

See what happens when you "assume"?