Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Those Lifting eyes?? Help! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110773-those-lifting-eyes-help.html)

Pismo10 08-23-2005 12:12 PM

Those Lifting eyes?? Help!

I lifted my Donzi 22 Classic for the first time today, front eye went fine but the rear eye has pulled about 1inch up. On the interior triangular piece the edges have pulled away from the transom on the lower corners. The bolts have not pulled thru the transom, they look fine. The triangular piece that is bolted to the transom and has a hole in it for the threaded rod from above is bending away from the transom, I can fit my finger behind it now on the corners. It is tight against the transom in the center where the bolts are coming thru the transom. Does anyone have any experience with this?? This is hard to believe that the factory lifting eye is inadequate. The top plate is also bending where the threaded rod comes thru. There also appears to be white stess marks on the welds. It might stay the way it is and be fine or it may keep bending and tear away thru the deck. Any advice please...See pix.........

machI 08-23-2005 12:14 PM

Re: Those Lifting eyes?? Help!

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go

machI 08-23-2005 12:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the rest of them.

machI 08-23-2005 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the last one.

mmwalters 08-23-2005 12:52 PM

I think that is more of a ski eye and not a lifting eye I would use the 2 U bolts on the transom

Roger 1 08-23-2005 12:54 PM

Looks like a poor design to me. Also, if the eye in just a standard hardware store version that is`nt welded I would`nt use it anymore. You would need a forged lifting ring in its place. Bottom line is, use the trailer untill this problem can be fixed.

Roger

Roger 1 08-23-2005 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mmwalters
I think that is more of a ski eye and not a lifting eye I would use the 2 Uboats on the transom

Yep!

Iggy 08-23-2005 01:02 PM

I think that is more of a ski eye and not a lifting eye I would use the 2 Uboats on the transom
He's right. That is a ski tow eye. Not designed for lifting. You're lucky it didn't pull out and drop the boat.

jayhawk261 08-23-2005 01:08 PM

Yeah, that looks like it is in the middle of the boat. If lifting with that on the back alone, I would think the back end would rotate one way or the other, probably with highly undesirable results. Maybe a "CRUNCH" sound followed by some foul language :D

rainmn 08-23-2005 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Iggy
He's right. That is a ski tow eye. Not designed for lifting. You're lucky it didn't pull out and drop the boat.

If that's a ski eye, why is there another ski eye right behind it? I don't disagree...just seems odd that there would be two tow eyes.