Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items?? >

What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

Notices

What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

Old 08-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts
Default What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

For you that boat in Havasu (or some other lakes w/harsh water) you know what I'm talking about. I think it's lye build up (??). I tried mothers, steel wool, and a butt load of other stuff but cant get the chalky crap off of my props. If I scratch it with my finger nail it comes off but that will take waaaaaay longer than I have time for. Anyone know what works the best?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

50/50 muratic acid and water(swimming pool acid)...........the white crap dissapers
Old 08-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

Thanks you guys....I'll try the lime away first
Old 08-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me how it works Tank. Vinegar & Water is just okay, not great.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I used Easy-Off Acid Based Lime Remover. Effortless. Spray it on with a squirt bottle, gently wipe, and hose it off.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I use this every weekend and it works great. I dont even have to scrub anything. I used it on the exhaust tips, steering etc, all the metal. It all looks great. Snow Bowl is the best but the nearest dollar store has some stuff called The Works and for $1 it is awesome!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how come lime away not on the gel coat , you got me nervous
ive been using it for years
Old 08-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I use this every weekend and it works great. I dont even have to scrub anything. I used it on the exhaust tips, steering etc, all the metal. It all looks great. Snow Bowl is the best but the nearest dollar store has some stuff called The Works and for $1 it is awesome!
The Works is basically Lime Away for 1/3 the price - good stuff. I use it in cleaning a variety of things, mainly the glass shower doors in our house.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

A nice trick for the exhaust tips and other polished and stainless parts is to take paper towels or rags and soak them with the Lime Away and then lay then over what ever you want to clean. Give it a couple of minutes and the parts come clean with no hassles.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SmilingBob
A nice trick for the exhaust tips and other polished and stainless parts is to take paper towels or rags and soak them with the Lime Away and then lay then over what ever you want to clean. Give it a couple of minutes and the parts come clean with no hassles.

Same thing I do... everything comes out perfect

Quick Reply: What is the best stuff to take off the build up on stainless/polished items??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.