Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need help with decision, Please give opinion... >

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Notices
View Poll Results: Need help with question, please give opinion
25 Baja Outlaw
9.68%
275 Baja Outlaw
5.38%
1990 Cigarette Bullet
43.01%
25 Agressor Sunsation
2.15%
288 Sunsation
39.78%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

cigarette is a cigarette, theres a reason that near all speedboats are referred to as cigarettes. for a new boat cigarettes are not a good value at all. but in this situation with the boats you are comparing it against the cigarette is a lot more boat for the money than any of the competitors. im pretty sure you would be happier with a real clean bulllet than any of the others in a few years once they are no longer new boats. just my 2 cents
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 375stinger
cigarette is a cigarette, theres a reason that near all speedboats are referred to as cigarettes. for a new boat cigarettes are not a good value at all. but in this situation with the boats you are comparing it against the cigarette is a lot more boat for the money than any of the competitors. im pretty sure you would be happier with a real clean bulllet than any of the others in a few years once they are no longer new boats. just my 2 cents
I read your info page your pretty knowledgeable for 13 years old
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks considering dad doesnt have time for this stuff i had to find boat n' do all stuff for restoration. got to be up on everything to keep the big tank older than i am runnin
Old 10-31-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
I also forgot to mention,the engine vent cowl cover that goes acrossed the back of the boat above swim platform fell 1/2 way off in 2-3 footers,started flapping around,had to tape it in place to keep it from damaging the gel coat,it looked like they glued it on top of smooth,shiny gel coat so it really didn't bond,My "heroes" at the baja dealer put it back on with a bunch of latex caulk,looks cobbled and has came loose several times. Also,the original motor (502 mpi in completely stock condition) (after breaking in EXACTLY like recommended) burned a quart of oil every 5 hours,dealer swore it was normal,but I being licensed mechanic, did a leakdown test and it had 1 cylinder that exceeded 30% leakdown(6 weeks old/45 hours). When i DEMANDED the dealer remedy the problem properly they tore one cylinder head off the motor in the boat,hemmed and hawed while waiting for mercruiser to make a determination,cold weather set in,I called dealer every day at that point asking if they were replacing the motor or at least going to put boat inside before it froze. They reasured me everything was being taken care of,after a weeked of temps in the high teens i drove up there to find ice in the bilge,motor,hoses,etc. I got soo pissed I pulled the boat out of there,paid a inndependent marina to pull the motor,fixed the damn thing myself. I ended up supercharging it,wrote off my warranty as useless anyways,Smitty
I have the exact Baja Boss 272 that Articfriends has, same year, same color, same engine (when it was a stock 502) and I have 362 hours on it now and I love it, I have not had 1 problem with mine and I do most of my boating on Lake Michigan where it gets alittle rough. I like the Bajas, you can get a larger boat for less money. I'm sure my next boat will be another Baja. I don't need the name Outerlimits on the side to have a good time JB
Attached Thumbnails Need help with decision, Please give opinion...-1-2-.jpg  
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Cig

Like Porsche's Everybody wants one!

Last edited by GLH; 11-01-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:29 AM
jb
Registered

the Cig is a total departure from the others... single or twins... I would still go with new 288 technology...why buy a Baja when you can have something else
Old 11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Registered

do more research on powerquests 26-28
8.5 foot beam very noticible when inside the boat
not the fastest boat but great handling and
built well (and yes i just happen to have a 27 laser w/502 mag for sale but its in michigan so to far for you)
but this boat runs 68 mph on the speedo just for another comparison ----good luck
Old 11-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered

I own a 04 288 and the thing I like about it the most is knowing should a issue ever arrise I won't have to jump thru hoops to get it taken care of... The factory support by Joe and Wayne is second to none in the industry and any Sunsation Owner will tell you that. That should be a major consideration for you and I can assure you they'll treat you like family even if you buy used. Search the web, and you'll find the diffrences between a production built boat like Baja, vs a more small independent builder like Sunsation. Not a knock, just a fact when employees who care, and stay, can and do make a huge diffrence in intial and long term quality.
IMO the Sunsation 288 is in the top 3 of 28 ft'ers out there after scoping out many 28's when we were shopping last winter. Nice tidy rigging, excellent cockpit and guage lay-out, not to mention the boats lines are head turner like no other (IMO of course ) For the waters your talkin of boating in the Sunsation 288 will do well and it's a very efficent hull you get a real grin out of everytime you back it off the trailer!
I have 93 hours on mine and the boat is solid with no rattles creaks or issues of any kind... I consider it a "keeper"
Old 11-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

Before I bought my Donzi 26ZX I did ALOT of market research. To he truthful I am partial to Donzi, having owned a couple of Classics.

Anyway, the one thing I learned to look at that hasn't been mentioned is cost of ownership. You need to look at the resale value 4-5yrs down the road. This helps to determine the real cost of ownership.

I would seriously consider the Sunsation, they make a great well built boat that seems to hold its value. If I had the $$$ a new 288 would be in my slip.

A 260 Velocity would be another good choice. There is a freshwater one for sale up here on Lake Winni.

I got a Donzi 26ZX for $45K with only 70hrs on it. Great boat, a bit heavy, but runs a solid 67 on GPS.

Woodsy

Last edited by jollyroger; 11-01-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Registered

I have a 1999 25' Outlaw. My issues have not been Baja related, but Merc related, with the low water pickup on the Bravo 1. More like a River Filter.

I will say the two dealers I have worked with, the one I bought the boat from and the the dealer who took over the line, were both, well, horribble. But I have heard from others that the dealers were both horrible, it didn't matter which line you bought.

With that said, I really like my Outlaw. On the way home from the Cambridge Races, it was rough. Others in much larger boats, 35's 38's and cruisers were talking about how rough it was, and I cruised along at 50.

I don't think Baja's are Cig's, Fountains or Sunsations, but for my money, I have gotten the speeds I wanted, and haven't really had many days on the dock because it was too rough.

And lets face it, you go out and hammer any under 30 foot boot in 2's and 3''s for a 20-50 mile run at 50 plus, somethings going to rattle loose. Isn't that why most race boats don't finish, something breaks?