Notices

Not Good....

Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Good....

Not a good weekend for me boys and girls.

Put the boat in and was hearing this strange clicking sound..sounded like it was in the center of the hull as opposed to the engine. However, I had heard this before and brushed it off thinking it was the exhaust.

So later in the day, I am crusiing aroung 50 and all of a sudden BAM! Loud noise, engine starts sputtering and we are dead within 20 seconds. At this point, the throttle is stuck in the forward position (can't get it to neutral) soI just shut her off (never tried to restart).

When I pulled her out, the prop will spin with a little pressure and I think I hear grinding however, I am not sure (throttle still stuck in forward).

So my question is...engine or lower unit? Either way, I think I am in for about $4k. If I threw a rod, how much is a rebuild? If I blew the lower unit, how much to rebuild?

Bravo I, 496 HO on 28' Nordic Heat - I hear they are putting X-drives in these now....what do these cost?

I can't pick it up from the lake until next weekend to bring it to my mechanic and it is weighing on my mind. Anyone have some thoughts?

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 08-24-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered

Default Re: Not Good....

Could be either one i thru a rod bearing over the 4th of july started out as a tick then the following day it turned to a knock. But i had a water getting in my oil from 2 different sources, had my 454 mag rebuilt , using good chit je pistons scat crank all felpro marine gaskets , comp cam and lifter kit shes pushing 460 horses now ,rebuild was right at $4gs orderd revoltion marine exhaust , and it turned into a huge headache should of ordered CMIs after all the new hoses and brackets i have to buy it would have beena wash. Good luck , i would attempt to start it
Old 08-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered

sorry to hear it, i have the same boat.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:29 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Heat sorry to hear that.sounds like what happened to me and it was the drive but then the engine went right after that so not sure.hopefully its still under warrenty.good luck.Rich
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Registered

Pull the drive & see if the engine will turn over/start, hopefully you have engine flush/garen hose connection so you dont lunch the impellar. If its the drive, it has to come off anyway, same if its the engine. Pretty easy to do.

Id pull the drive, see how the drive feels, then put a breaker bar & socket on the crank bolt & try to spin the engine over slowly so as not to cause more damage and see how easily it turns, then try to start it depending on the outcome of the breaker bar test.

FYI- Turning the engine by the balancer bolt is not the best idea though, as they ( bolt head ) have been known to break off, not likely, but it can happen. Summit Racing & Jegs sell a tool that bolts to balancer to do just this....

Good luck
Old 08-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

i would bet on the drive probably the in put gear
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the combination throttle/shifter, then it seems likely that the drive is the problem as it will not allow the throttle to return.

Pulling the drive seems to be your first move.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because you can turn the prop, I'd suspect it's the drive. Pull the drain plugs from the drive and look for metal particles. If you can feel them, you probably have some damage. Then pull the top and back caps. They're easy too get off and you'll be able to see if there's any damage to the upper.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered

I say drive also, the easier of the two by far. Put a garden hose in the water pickup and try and start the engine.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered

Rich - I think it was all that air time in VA Beach!

Thanks for the responses guys. If it is the drive, should I rebuild or replace? Seems like cost is almost the same and as mentioned in the original post, it seems like the x drives are standard with the 496ho these days?

Quick Reply: Not Good....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.