Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs. >

Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs.

Notices
View Poll Results: Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs
Yes
59.69%
No
13.18%
H*ll NO
27.13%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs.

Originally Posted by Macklin
In all seriousness, it's too bad you can't legislate common sense.
The problem with "common sense" is that it ain't all that common!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
They have them at LOTO and they work well. If memory serves it is 30 at night? It would have to allow me to get up on plane at leaste but as long as I could do that then I would be fine with it.

Jon
30's good, nice and pleasant and you can still get somewhere. last weekend thats what we ran across the bay from the marina to the 10 lane ramp, no probs, good ride.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

I think it is BS! so you are going to pass a law that the few problem people are going to ignore anyway and affect those that follow the law or are smart and safe about it?as said before the ones that need to be worried about are going to turn off lights or run even harder to advoid a ticket.. Like it or not, agree or disagree, I do boat at night, alot. and I enjoy my right to. it makes me sick that the people do not run at night want all these laws. yes there have been some accidents as a result but water is our last safe haven for speen.. if this is the case I want a law passed that hunting is not allowed because there have been accidental deaths hunting (I don't hunt so what do I care?)
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

I have mixed emotions on the subject. I guess you could make it up to the officers,(I know that is kind of rediculas too) but when montana's speed limit during the day was rated at "reasonable" on the highways it was up to the officers to give a ticket or not. 100 mph may be reasonable one day due to light trafic and be worthy of a ticket another day becuase of heavier traffic or weather.

I boat alot at night and rarely do I run much harder than mininumum speed to plane, tooo much to hit and at 70 or 80 it could get really ugly really quickly.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

i would also have to agree that if you have a limit of some type at nite that it only opens the door for a daytime limit which im sure most of us do not want
Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I'd think a minimum planning speed would be difficult to enforce, similar to no wake speeds. They're very subjective.

ed
Old 08-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

Is anyone gonna be at SML this weekend who is interested in getting together to discuss a possible resolution before they lay a ludicrous one on us ?
As a side note , I spoke to Karl Martin this morning , he appears to be leading the investigation , he did not appear to be anti powerboat . He said that he felt caught in the middle trying to satisfy all parties . He also said the he did not forsee any bans , but that new laws would be introduced and existing laws would be better inforced . In the middle of my " we are a good bunch of guys speech " the prosecutor beeped in . He seemed pretty cool though .
Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What about directing a change in required lighting? Let's face it sober or impaired we are faced by an incredible challenge to boat at night. And the older you get, the less your eyes can loose light and still see.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree with the lack of no speed limits whether it is day or night on these inland lakes.

Should there be no limits on the Interstates then?

Originally Posted by TRICK
I'm against laws regulating speeds day or night.

I would support boater education.

I see little reason for anyone to be hauling a$$ at night, but I have enough government intrusion in my life already. You open Pandora's box and you won't ever get it closed again.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

There actually is a functional speed limit that applies at all times, in all places, under the Rules of the Road (which do have legal force) in all their versions: You must be able to stop in half the assured clear distance ahead. It absolutely applies on the oceans and the Great Lakes, which is where I boat, and on all waters governed by the federal inland lakes or western rivers rules as well. One of the problems around my home waters (Grand Haven, MI) is that there are too many folks out there who have no idea that such rules exist in the first place, and there are also those who just don't care very much. Personally, I avoid like the plague the mouth of the Grand River after dark on a summer Friday or Saturday evening. I've seen a 38 at well over 30 mph, all kinds of smaller boats (under 25') zipping along, fast cruisers over 50' likewise at speed, boats with the red and green lenses of their bow lights reversed somehow, and boats without lights (which in that environment is all but suicidal). I've been out there myself, and don't like moving over maybe 15 or so anywhere near a harbor entrance, both for the other boats and for the breakwaters; let's face it--unless it's a bright moonlit night, you just can't see that well! I see no problem with a minimum-sustainable-planing-speed rule for night running.

Quick Reply: Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.