Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI? >

Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Notices

Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Brad,

I have been following this thread just to see where the masses would lead you. I have drawn a couple of conclusions.....1.) MTI is the boat for you! 2.) NoTech is a NO racer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me, I have a new option for you.

Frankie
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

You Nortech guys need to chill out. I have done my research on which boat to buy based on personal experience and many discussions with boat owners, racers and being at Poker Runs. Do not spam / hijack my thread and try to sell a Nortech when I asked about two other boats.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad,
You asked why don't Nor-Techs race. I answered you and explained our philosophy. Who knows, maybe someone else might like to know. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
TS
Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Brad,
You asked why don't Nor-Techs race. I answered you and explained our philosophy. Who knows, maybe someone else might like to know. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
TS
you trouble maker.....
Old 09-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad,
If you don't already have a dealer call Bruce Bullock at www.BullockMarine.com he can give you some good advise and also meet you at Skater. He was my dealer and helped me out a lot and he's one heck of a nice guy.
Lance might sell his 40' Skater (see pic) if you like it. Bruce would know more details.
In my opinion, get a 4 place back seat, and large fuel tanks!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?-.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

I would think any one would be nice, I lean towards Skater because it is close to home. I would really die for any of them. What about the new Bayliner cat??...oh, thats right, it was just poor quality and it split in half!!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Nortech is not in the picture at all. Nice boats for the luxury crusier crowd who want cuddies. If they are fast and handle so well why are they not raced?
Yup, seems to me Terry just answered the question...
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Registered

I bought my Skater 32 from Bruce Bullock. It was a pleasure dealing with him. I have not had business deal that went any smoother.
I run my Skater in some of the roughest water in the world, Montaulk point to Block Island, The performance of my boat is exactly what Peter said it would be. I have over four hundred hours on the hull and there is not a stress crack anywhere. I can't wait to order a 40.

Last edited by Hydro; 08-27-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

OY!

For the record.......

The 39 MTI and the 36 Skater are about the same size....and have very similar design characteristics... MTI has a wider tunnel.... but Peter will do the same for his 36 and new 38. So for a speed comparison....compare those three.

The 40' Skater is considerably bigger.... not an apples to apples comparison.

MTI workmanship is superb...and world class

Skater workmanship is superb...and world class.

MTI styling does not include a lot of (difficult and costly to tool) compound curves....... (except at cerain "areas")... That doesn't make them slow..... just ungainly to a trained eye

Skater design features compound curves.

Note: derivative or splashed boats tend to have a lot of straight lines where different oddly cut pieces have been joined/lengthened/modified...( "Gee Sam...we cut that hull to pieces and laid it out on the floor like you said...but how do we fill in this 18" gap here...and that 3 foot space over there?....... Let's try some pieces of plywood..... There that's the ticket!")...... Original designs and plugs tend to have continuous flowing curves.

Performance.......... If you compare the SCL (identical power) MTI's to the 36 Skaters.... Skater wins...in all water conditions.

If you compare SC 38 MTI's...to 40 Skaters.... you are comparing an apple and an orange.... The MTI's are dominant now...in part through performance, in part through smaller wider design, and in part through the Fountain technique of "beat them with sheer numbers and the odds are you'll win." However as the new smaller, sleaker, wider Skaters hit the race course...we'll have a better comparison.

Bottom line...in the past few years...MTI has devoted itself to racing, racing, racing........ Skater has created 12 cylinder Sage driven 46 Skater Supremes, Diesel projects, a vee bottom, a new 32, a new 30, turbine projects, and ever more gorgeous styling...... Let Peter refocus on a pure purpose built race hull... (the 38') ...and let the fun begin.

T2x

P.S....After a Skater... my second choice..... would be Doug Wright's new 38'.... That guy really has a hold of something right now..... and it's original.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:54 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Bottom line...in the past few years...MTI has devoted itself to racing, racing, racing........ Skater has created 12 cylinder Sage driven 46 Skater Supremes, Diesel projects, a vee bottom, a new 32, a new 30, turbine projects, and ever more gorgeous styling...... Let Peter refocus on a pure purpose built race hull... (the 38') ...and let the fun begin.

T2x
so skater has fallen behind because all MTI does is race? so maybe when MTI gets done with their diesel projects, turbine projects, the new 55, theme boats, building both poker run boats as well as full cabin catamarans they can focus on their race hull as well...

compound curves? i don't see many skater with compound curves.. a lot of cut down flat decks... well, i will let the pictures talk...
Attached Thumbnails Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?-mti1b1.jpg   Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?-mti1c1.jpg   Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?-skater-014.jpg  

Quick Reply: Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.