Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/111308-smlpba-smith-mt-lake-powerboating-assoc.html)

mwdill 09-08-2005 09:22 PM

Re: SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.

but don't worry the people that needed to hear us did and the one's that make the decisions understand that the crowd was partial and realize their opinions are far fetched.
I was told out in the parking lot that our group (speakers) did a great job of getting our veiws and stats across, and that they did a great job of not losing their temper when they were provoked. :D:

Blue by You 09-08-2005 11:01 PM

All;

Just a brief update on the meeting tonight. Was about what we expected ... most lake residents are looking to blame us by association and others are concerned by the noise and speed. While most of the comments are unsupported by facts, the board is listening. Good news is that one of the board members asked me to be involved and said they required our input. This is a good thing. I think all in all it went well. The few folks that I spoke to started as a "shame on you" type conversation, however after I explained our mission and our recent bad rap, most started to understand our position but not necessarily agree with it. Like one lady told me..."Why can't you take your boat to the ocean?" "Cause I live on the lake like you lady!" She didn't care....while she ripped me...another lady stepped up and put her in her place and requested an application from me. Huh? Go figure. Another lady stepped up and said she enjoyed seeing us on the lake...was nice to see the boats and she confessed that she liked to put her foot down every now and then. Too good!

We have supporters out there...some of them shook my hand after our speech ... we MUST work to find them. We need them to register on line...no cost, just register if they want their voice heard. I've already got one tonight & I passed out 35 business cards and even more applications. Took a couple applications tonight as well. If we let up on this the older residents will have speed limits, HP limits & noise limits in place by next year.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. If you have a suggestion, please advise.

Saturday from 10AM-2PM the USCG will be performing boat inspections at their office there on the lake (2nd cove south of the bridge) If you can, get your boat over there for an inspection. Randy Sandage is getting the requirements by boat size and we'll publish, but there may be a few things you might not expect... map of the lake, radio (or cell) good ropes, etc. These were a few I would have missed. Take your boat by and if you do, tell them THANK YOU for supporting our SMLPBA. We need them.

WINE FESTIVAL: We ARE having a raft off on Saturday 24th at Bernard's. More info to come, but plan on it. We will also have a club meeting prior.

Remember, be safe out there...they are watching us and so far we are doing great. Keep everyone in check out there...I will be back up the 17th. Please push registration.

Blue by You 09-08-2005 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by mwdill
but don't worry the people that needed to hear us did and the one's that make the decisions understand that the crowd was partial and realize their opinions are far fetched.
I was told out in the parking lot that our group (speakers) did a great job of getting our veiws and stats across, and that they did a great job of not losing their temper when they were provoked. :D:

Will, who told you that? Karl?

mwdill 09-09-2005 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Will, who told you that? Karl?

yes,
we also got positive feedback from the senator.
Also met the deputy director of the DGIF she lives where i grew up so i kinda smoothed her over :cool: the game wardens were laughing about the lady who said we were 1 foot apart in the photo that was in the paper,I believe they should have given her a breathalizer test! :D:
anyway monday eve is the first task force meeting.

mlitefan2 09-09-2005 05:44 AM

Sounds like you guys did a great job in a very tough situation. Kudos to you all. I think if you keep pushing the facts, the ones that are simply pushing their anti performance boat agenda will start to look silly when their arguments are shown to have no merit.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you for sure. BTW, I sent a thank you email to Mark Taylor of the Roanoke Times. He is the one who did the article airing the side of performance boaters. If you haven't already, you might want to write a letter to the editor, complete with the accident statistics. I knew that they would be heavily in our favor and I brought that up to him but didn't have them at the time.

Any media present at the meeting?

Macklin 09-09-2005 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by mlitefan2
BTW, I sent a thank you email to Mark Taylor of the Roanoke Times. He is the one who did the article airing the side of performance boaters.

I don't remember seeing a link to this article. Can someone post it?

mlitefan2 09-09-2005 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Macklin
I don't remember seeing a link to this article. Can someone post it?

Here you go..
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/31490.html

It is linked on the SMLPBA site as well.

After looking at the video clips from the News last night, you guys need to mount a serious media campaign to get the word out. I don't see good things coming from this at all. I grew up in that area and try to get out to SML at least once a year. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

BAJA WILL 09-09-2005 05:01 PM

I was at the meeting, yea talk about walking into a firing squad :eek: When i voted for no speed limits by raising my hand, a old man got up, turned red, and tried to stare me down. I swear I thought he was going to hit me :evilb: I just ignored him but damn.

I swear the Game wardens straight told the crowd at the begininning that powerboats and speed where to the LEAST contributing factors in collisions on the lake and VA. BUT these ******* just don't believe it.

Oh well

WILL MURRAY :rolleyes:

dsandman6 09-09-2005 10:00 PM

I am also very proud of my brothers and sisters I know It was not easy to face our biggest critics head on but that just goes to show how dedicated our leaders are to our cause :argue: good no great job

rodeo boater 09-09-2005 10:25 PM

A few things I noticed at the meeting, most of the people (winers)there where from the R24 area of the lake,and the average was age 70. If we had asked what is the speed of your boat the answer would be 25, with a 40 horse power outboard.
The group stated the noise was a big thing, because they are 70, and can not hear the person sitting next to them,they feel everyone should change there ways. The facts are if you live near or on the highway there is going to be some noise from the traffic, and 24 hours a day. Whether it's the She Doos or the Bass Fishermen or the Power Boats it's all traffic, and thats what we now have on the lake with 30,000 people and growing.
The lake was a retirement community, but I've got news for some people the change is here now, and would bet the average age will soon be 45.
With more condos in the works on the R side this can only mean more issues for those folks over there. This means the R side waterway will be worse than ever on the weekend.

Thanks for all the work of the SMLPBA " keep your head up and do not look back"