Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bad News getting Worse for New Orleans (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/111337-bad-news-getting-worse-new-orleans.html)

Semper Fi 08-30-2005 08:05 PM

Re: Bad News getting Worse for New Orleans

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf
We still live in the greatest country on Earth guys. Go to a third world country and see the effects of a Hurricane that is this magnitude. Instead of 50 or so casuaties there would be thousands dead. I know most of you are just venting.

Of course we don't receive aid from other countries, especially countries around Indonesia. They can't support themselves!!! I don't believe this country expects to be reinmbursed for their humanitarian efforts. When a Blessed Nation is able to give support when it is needed, it is the RIGHT thing to do.

It is similar to many of you who help someone you don't even know. You are not expecting anything in return. I have seen so many instances on this forum where people band together for the good of someone who is down it is truly inspirational. No strings attached. It is the AMERICAN way. There are so many on this board that go so far above and beyond it is amazing.

I truly believe this Nation has prospered because of an unselfish mentality. We give with a humble, uncompromising attitude. Of course we will be bashed by some of the same people we have extended our aid. No harm, no foul. Of course gratitude is nice, but we did this out of our own free will.

In retrospect, this is not meant to bash anyone. I see validity in all the posts. Just my opinion regarding the turn this thread has taken.

I still wish all those in the Gulf speedy recovery.

Prayers to all
Sam

I do agree with what you said, but I think you are missing our point. Nobody is arguing this is a great country. (maybe Catmando :eek: ) This is by far the greatest country in the world. What we are saying is that this country needs to help itself...we still have victims of the last hurricanes in Florida that haven't recieved alot of help yet and are still waiting on some government help. We have alot of homeless people, sick vets, etc.....that could use help. Let's do more for our own country and less for the world. That's not being selfish, the U.S. does ALOT for the entire world now. Personally, I think the U.S. is spread too thin all over the world from our finances to our military.

glassdave 08-30-2005 08:16 PM

i was supposed to go down to New Orleans this friday for a long weekend with some friends. was really looking forward to it. hope the city recovers quiclky :(

florida gator 08-30-2005 08:33 PM

I had a discussion with a lady at Outback today. They showed some of the looting going on and she said "all that stuff is just gonna go to waste. I don't see why they don't just let them have it."

I said "because it is not right to take what's not yours"

What an idiot. I know where there are some boats much faster and nicer than mine that don't get used. I guess I will swing by and pick one up this weekend.

ratman 08-30-2005 08:38 PM

i'd guard peoples property for free if you can shoot looters. thats one way to clean things up after a disaster

t500hps 08-30-2005 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
I think they just said they are starting to shoot the looters. Three shot so far. I don't know if it was in self defense or not, I just caught the tail end of the report. :(

And if I were on the jury every homeowner/ business-owner would walk for it too!

happy hours 08-30-2005 08:55 PM

No doubt, I just saw some offical saying the people taking water and food is OK. I agree with tthat but they catch you taking material things they should shot your ass i the street.

CigDaze 08-31-2005 07:46 AM

:( :( :(

Today's Headlines:

CATASTROPHIC...
LOOTING, DESPERATION SPREAD...
'GET THEM ALL OUT'
SCORES FEARED DEAD...
2.7M W/O POWER...
PRISON RIOT, HOSTAGE CRISIS...
AIRLINES, LOW ON FUEL, CANCEL HUNDREDS OF FLIGHTS...
BUSH RETURNS TO DC...
OIL TOPS RECORD...

NAVY SHIPS AND MARITIME RESCUE TEAMS SENT TO REGION

SUICIDES AT THE SUPERDOME...

MISSISSIPPI DROWNING...

Katrina damage worse than expected...

Massive Storm Damage Found in Alabama...

French Quarter War Zone...