Notices

Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Old 09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Originally Posted by fund razor
As far as the guilt goes....

I pulled the boat Monday afternoon and put it on the trailer.
My boating season and career is over.

The ad went on Boattrader this morning.
I'm done.

Now I can only hope that I can sell it so I can pay the loan.
Dang, why are you getting out of boating. Is it the crazy price of gas?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what it's worth.........my $.02

I'm hoping the govt. is feeling this sense of urgency that all of you have expressed.
After hurricane Andrew many of us in the Keys felt the same way and made many trips to Homestead with supplies.
But like those people, the victims of this hurricane will be without EVERYTHING they knew for a very long time.
We found that weeks after the hurricane hit, items were needed and as much appreciated as ever.
We took strollers, clothes, toys, household items, clean linens, toiletries, batteries, tools etc etc etc - many 2nd hand items - to the tent cities and temporary housing units.
We had local groups donate.........volunteers drove it up and gave stuff out.
The planning and organizing helped us feel like we were at least doing something. And the needs today will go on for a very long time. Think what Xmas will be like for all those kids this year.
Sorry to go on, but this one is bringing back a lot of the old Andrew memories.
Just some thoughts............
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

sorry......had to add one more thing

along with the medical units there will be mess kitchens set up by the Nat'l Guard............my husband worked for an institutional chemical company that supplies all warewashing and sanitizing products.........his company donated TRUCKLOADS of products to these units.
I think no matter what business your in, there will be a need from someone of what you have or come in contact with.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Dang, why are you getting out of boating. Is it the crazy price of gas?
I guess that's part of it. Plus... I don't make much money and all other aspects of my life have been put on the back burner because of the boat. It has taken all of my time, resources, money, energy.
Instead of a positive distraction, it has become a negative distraction.

I can't get rid of it fast enough.

Maybe someday I will get something small and cheap.
I do love the water. There are plenty of places around here to use a canoe. That would get me on the water.

It was never about the speed or being cool.
It made me happy. But that has changed.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

I do love the water.
It made me happy..
take a break...you'll be back
Old 09-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

At the risk of sounding cold, should we not go on living our lives? Keep the economy going? We don't stop for terrorists, why stop for a natural disaster?

Unfortunate? yes

A bump in the economy? yes

Tragic for those involved? yes

Part of life? yes

so let's deal with it.

Our govt forces and tax dollars are at it as are the worthy causes we give to yr round.

Something to be learned here, building a city (in a known hurrican region) below sea level and or choosing to live in it- tick, tick, tick,

Sorry if my dose of reality is offensive to anyone
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

It looks like the major health systems are compiling medical teams to staff mobile army hospitals. They just sent out an email asking people to go throughout the mercy system (and Catholic Health Partners).

Plus, they called yesterday afternoon for medical helicopters so we sent a couple Life Flights and some crew.
Fund,

I used to work at Mercy ... the real one. I'm relieved to hear they are sending staff and helos. There are way too many of them (helos) to serve the needs in our area anyways. It restores my faith in the "Mercy" I once knew.

It seems there is a major corporate battle between Mercy and "the other guys" in green. Millions and millions of $$$ being spent just to compete against each other without making the care any better.

How many staff and helos is Promedica sending? They are, after all, (according to them) the second "most integrated" health care system in the country, right? How much of the CEO's $1.4 million/year salary is he donating to the relief effort and disaster victims?

Chris

Last edited by RedDog382; 09-01-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cattitude
At the risk of sounding cold, should we not go on living our lives?
I pay taxes, give at church, donate to multiple charities, and am sending money to the Red Cross for relief efforts down south. Will I use my boat this weekend? See you in Muscamoot Bay !!!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRICK
I've been wrestling with feelings of guilt about boating this weekend myself. So I was a bit relieved to see this thread and know I'm not alone with my conflicted thoughts.

I do feel extremely bad for all those affected by the hurricane. I have given money to the cause and will give more. But beyond that, at this time, there isn't a whole lot I can do.

I'm going to go to the lake this weekend and try to enjoy myself. I have a boat. I have the payments. I have the insurance. I have a full tank of fuel. None of that changes by staying home, watching the TV and staying in a funk.

Yes, I want to see more done to help the unfortunate folks caught up in what is probably the worst natural disaster this country has faced. At the same time, this country and this economy MUST move forward.
My thoughts exactly, we have had most of our gas in the boat for the last few weeks, and would certainly not want to store it with full tanks, So by 5:00 today we will be headed to Lake Erie for a weekend at Kelly's Island and Put In Bay, we feel it is our civic obligation to help fuel the economy of the local establishments
Old 09-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
I've been wrestling with feelings of guilt about boating this weekend myself. So I was a bit relieved to see this thread and know I'm not alone with my conflicted thoughts.

I do feel extremely bad for all those affected by the hurricane. I have given money to the cause and will give more. But beyond that, at this time, there isn't a whole lot I can do.

I'm going to go to the lake this weekend and try to enjoy myself. I have a boat. I have the payments. I have the insurance. I have a full tank of fuel. None of that changes by staying home, watching the TV and staying in a funk.

Yes, I want to see more done to help the unfortunate folks caught up in what is probably the worst natural disaster this country has faced. At the same time, this country and this economy MUST move forward.

AHHHHH....Mr. Fred Cecil, the "voice of reason"
How do you, always, always, always know what to say???

Quick Reply: Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.