Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Fund,

I used to work at Mercy ... the real one. I'm relieved to hear they are sending staff and helos. There are way too many of them (helos) to serve the needs in our area anyways. It restores my faith in the "Mercy" I once knew.

It seems there is a major corporate battle between Mercy and "the other guys" in green. Millions and millions of $$$ being spent just to compete against each other without making the care any better.

How many staff and helos is Promedica sending? They are, after all, (according to them) the second "most integrated" health care system in the country, right? How much of the CEO's $1.4 million/year salary is he donating to the relief effort and disaster victims?

Chris

The CEO's salary is no one's business. Just like yours or mine. Waaaaay off base comment.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
I'm having a hard time thinking about boating this weekend when so many people in this country are suddenly left without food/shelter/water.

Just can't justify burning up a bunch of fuel and having fun when so many others are without.

Anybody else?
Chris (RedDog) i was just sitting here thinking the same thing. i was actually supposed to be in NewOrleans this weekend, flight was this morning. and now i am trying to get in the mood to do the LEOPA Kellys island run as an alternative. i just cant seem to get in the groove with all thats going on.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not going. I'm concerned that the $'s I spend boating may be required to fuel the truck to drive to work next week. Plus seeing all the people with nothing is bumming me bad....
Old 09-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not an a$$hole but who built a city 6-8 feet below sea level anyway?
Not the smartest place to put a city. Kinda like living in a trailer park in Tornado alley, duh!

Before you all jump on me, I donated all the $$ I would have spent on fuel and food this weekend to the American Red Cross. Not much but it is the right thing to do.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting thread.

I kinda feel like it's a little too soon for me to parade my boat around when the Governor of my state has declared an "energy emergency" and President Bush has ask Americans to conserve fuel/energy during this time our country is in need. Especially when several thousand have died in the last couple days and thousands more are suffering down in the troubled states. I am thankful that I am able to give a donation to the Red Cross for the victims.

In light of the country's present situation, would it make a big difference if I did or didn't go boating either way?---probably not, but I still feel like I need to do my part as small as it may be, and keep a low profile. Perhaps by next weekend I may have a different point of view depending on our country's situation. Not condemning anyone else for going boating---but right now it's just too soon for me...it's just how I look at it right now.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
The CEO's salary is no one's business. Just like yours or mine. Waaaaay off base comment.
baf.com,

It is my business when the health care system/insurance company/"non-profit" organization he runs and was paid into for a lifetime of my step-father's hard factory work reviews my mom's case. She was paralyzed from the armpits down with two malignant tumors in her spinal cord from renal cell CA that "their" doctors missed on a CT scan two years earlier. She could barely feed herself, couldn't turn over in bed or wipe her butt without help, and lived in a wheelchair/bed for the last miserable year of her life. They denied her claim, stating she "didn't need skilled nursing care".

It is my business when I'm told they don't have the money to pay me when I stay overtime at the end of my night shift to finish taking care of the patients paying for his outrageous salary and perks.

It is my business when they cut nursing staff and vital supplies needed to take care of critical emergency patients because they don't have the funding needed. But he can give himself a fat raise under the same circumstances.

It is my business when they say they can't afford to have a second doctor on duty at night, and then tell me I don't have the authority to go on EMS bypass to divert ambulances from the ED when it is so busy that patients lives are endangered. Apparrently, I'm not qualified to make that decision despite my residency training at Johns Hopkins Hospital and six years with The University of Michigan.

It is my business when I bring a friend into the ED and suture his thumb back on in the middle of my night off, generating a $1200.00 bill (which they were fully compensated on) and I don't get a penny of, not even a "thank you".

By the way, his salary was published in the local paper, so it's no secret.

But thanks for your opinion on something you know nothing about!

What kind of work do you do, anyways?

Last edited by RedDog382; 09-03-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Registered

N.O. was being settled long before anyone new the effects of the geographic logistics. It served as a major seaport to supply the north and south with needs that were essential. In the war of 1812 it was a key player in the defeat of the Brits. At this point cavalier and glib remarks about it seem grossly inappropriate. (TO PUT IT ****ING NICELY!!!)
Old 09-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Interesting thread.

I kinda feel like it's a little too soon for me to parade my boat around when the Governor of my state has declared an "energy emergency" and President Bush has ask Americans to conserve fuel/energy during this time our country is in need. Especially when several thousand have died in the last couple days and thousands more are suffering down in the troubled states. I am thankful that I am able to give a donation to the Red Cross for the victims.

In light of the country's present situation, would it make a big difference if I did or didn't go boating either way?---probably not, but I still feel like I need to do my part as small as it may be, and keep a low profile. Perhaps by next weekend I may have a different point of view depending on our country's situation. Not condemning anyone else for going boating---but right now it's just too soon for me...it's just how I look at it right now.
That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. And, my gas tanks are full.
To those that are boating, Please, have a good time. We'll catch up later.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Popeyes
N.O. was being settled long before anyone new the effects of the geographic logistics. It served as a major seaport to supply the north and south with needs that were essential. In the war of 1812 it was a key player in the defeat of the Brits. At this point cavalier and glib remarks about it seem grossly inappropriate. (TO PUT IT ****ING NICELY!!!)
Stan, di I hear correctly that it was sinking at a rate of 1" per year? I had a farm like that. You don't abandon it, you deal with it.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Registered

It is true but its like loving an old dog that is your own. You just do. No place is perfect and hindsight is 20-20. Compassion would be my word of the day for anothers plight. Not asking for handouts myself but I feel that we as a nation can at least do what we do for other countries ie Iraq or even New York.
stan

Quick Reply: Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.